Chapter 2: An Organization Called 'Targent'

The three mystery solvers ran as quick as they could back to the apartment whilst also not trying to look suspicious. Luke was confused as to why they couldn't look suspicious.

"Because, if anyone sees you looking suspicious, they may call the police on you. And the police may mistake you for a member of Targent. But I doubt the police even have any control around here that much any more with them lurking around."

"But, we look the least suspicious. Well, Flora anyway. No one would think she's a member of Targent."

"That's what you think Luke, but you didn't suspect I was a Targent member either. No one did. Not even the Professor and he's good as seeing through disguises and those who act friendly but are actually evil. Like that boy Clive from 10 years ago."

"You know Clive?" Flora asked with a neutral expression.

"Yes. Many members of Targent talked a lot about him. Saying he was a young boy who wanted to get revenge on the scientists who were responsible for his parents' death and how the Professor stopped him from plunging into danger."

"Sounds like the Professor alright!" Luke boasted.

"You wouldn't believe this but Targent actually tried to recruit Clive into their organisation."

"Really?"

"Yes. But enough of that, we'll talk more when we get to the apartment. Where is it exactly? Like the address?"

The three of them continued running down countless streets. They past many stores and restaurants, some of which Flora really wanted to eat at but never got the chance.

"I promise you Flora, after this whole mystery is solved, we'll go out to eat wherever you want. Together."

Flora beamed at Luke and kept his promise close to her as if it were an object like how a baby never lets go of their favourite toy. Luke noticed many suspicious people turning the corners of streets, running, wearing black suits and hats. Though he couldn't tell what they looked like or what they were doing, they were all wearing the same clothes.

"They must be part of Targent. I hope they didn't recognise us." He thought to himself.

They turned a corner and Emmy stopped for a moment. Unaware of the people around them, Luke asked her why she stopped.

"We got Targent thugs on us." She whispered to Luke and Flora. "You two, get to the apartment now! I'll catch up once I deal with these lot."

"Come on Flora!"

"W-wait! We can't leave her there!"

Luke and Flora decided to seek a shortcut to get back to the apartment quickly. They ran through a dark and dirty alleyway. Knowing that Emmy knew the location of the apartment, Luke was unsure whether or not she'd betray him again and lead Targent to the apartment or if she'd actually rendezvous with them there. Either way, Luke was not staying in their way.

Flora did not like the alleyway. It scared her. She had not been down one in almost 7 years and thought something would happen to both of them.

"It's okay Flora. Nothing's going to happen to you as long as I am here. You don't need to worry."

Flora gave a heart-warming smile back to Luke and the two of them continued through the alleyway and ended up two streets away from the apartment.

"We're almost there Flora! Just have to hope Emmy can make it here too."

Suddenly, Luke noticed more Targent thugs approaching the road. It's over! He thought they were busted. He thought Targent was going to take them away. He thought Emmy had betrayed him once again. But no, they went straight past the pair and continued down the street, towards a Tavern near the Thames. The Thames Arms, a place the pair knew very well although it doesn't look anything like the one they knew 7 years ago.