Chapter 3: The Search for Flora

"Do you know where she could've gone Luke?"

"Yes. I have three possible places she could've gone. The first one is close by. Let's head there first!"

Flora ran away as far as she could from the apartment building. Out of breath as she was, she did not want to stop. But eventually, she decided to stop to catch her breath and recover from the long run she just went through. She turned into a familiar place to her. Yes! Of course! This was Flora's favourite area! Chinatown. This place had so many good restaurants that Flora did not want to stop coming here and eating. She would usually come by Chinatown whenever the Professor and Luke were both free.

"How I'd pay anything to have the Professor back." Flora thought to herself. "I miss him...so much. I can't bear to live in a world without him. After all, he is...my legal guardian! I - I - I would do anything...to have him back. Professor, please! I want you to come back. Even if not for long or for anyone else. I want you to come back. For me!"

Flora stared at the clear skies and was thinking of where the Professor could be. A smell came from a nearby restaurant. Flora loved this smell. It was her favourite dish of all time, Tandoori Chicken. Just the sight of it made Flora all excited and happy. But, unfortunately, she forgot to bring some more money to buy it. She was planning to go somewhere else when she bumped into someone. The restaurant's owner. However, the restaurant owner was none other than Don Paolo, though she didn't know this until just now. She saw Don Paolo and gasped.

"Hey, WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING YOU BRAT!!! Ehhh, what are you doing here girl? Flora was it?"

"Oh I... uhhh...I wanted to come and eat here...but I didn't...bring...any money."

"HAHA, no worries girl! Since we know each other well, I'd just like to say something between the two of us." Don Paolo approached Flora and whispered into her ear. "I'm sorry for what I ever did to you all those years ago. You know, kidnapping you and trapping you in that village's barn with the cows and destroying your tower in your own village. Layton told me of you many times, saying every time he sees you, his day just gets better because there's someone in the world who's always there for him and wants to stay by his side."

"He...he said that? About me?"

Don Paolo jerked back in disgust.

"What? Do you think I'm making this up? I know I lie a lot but this isn't one this time. I promise you!"

Flora blushed and a smile struck her face. That's all she ever wanted to hear. That she was useful in some way and not a damsel in distress. She always wanted to be included because she wanted to prove to the Professor and Luke that she wasn't useless. Even though it didn't work most of the times, she always wanted to be by their side and never leave them, no matter where they go. She wanted to help them and keep them safe. And she, herself, felt safe with them.

"Oh, and he also said 'If Flora ever comes to this shop to eat, make sure you treat her well.' And you know what? I want to make up with you. After all I did anyway. So, I'll keep his word and give you a deal you cannot miss out on. At all! Every time you come here, and only you no one else, you'll get your favourite dish completely free of charge. What do you think huh?"

"Really? A free dish every time I come? But won't you lose money for that?"

"Relax. I won't be losing a lot anyway. After all, 'a gentleman should always put a ladies' needs first.'" Don Paolo shuddered. He could not believe what he just said.

Flora was surprised. Did Don Paolo really just quote the Professor and one of his gentleman lines?

"He really has changed." Flora thought to herself. "He's changed a lot. I wonder if he knows anything about the Professor's disappearance."