Chapter 8: The Mastermind Revealed

The five pressed on through the basement until they found a door which led to what looked to be a huge room. There was some talking inside.

"Katia, you know the basement right? How many rooms are there?"

"This is...the main room. They should be in here. If not...then they should be in the....next room."

Luke perched against one side of the door whilst Dimitri perched against the other. He ordered Clive to give him a flash bomb to throw inside. Clive held Katia at the back and Flora was in front of him.

"We only have two left." Clive mentioned.

"Don't worry, I've still got plenty." Dimitri said casually.

Clive handed Luke the flash bomb and he pulled the pin. He then threw it into the next room and it went off, blinding some people inside.

"NOW!" Luke yelled ordering Dimitri.

Luke and Dimitri kicked the door and burst inside. They tackled as many thugs as they could before the effects of the flash bomb wore off. The recovered thugs grabbed their weapons and were about to attack them when Dimitri set off one of his devices which used compressed high air pressure and launched them into some shelves which fell on them and knocked them unconscious. They found an old man and three scientists in the corner of the room all tied up.

"HORRACE!" Dimitri called before rushing to aid his team.

Luke noticed the old man and recognised who he was.

"ANTON!" Luke rushed over to free Anton.

"Anton. Are you okay?"

"Luke? What....what happened?"

"Those men kidnapped you. Did you not realise?"

"No. I was...unconscious when they took me. They burst into the castle and knocked me out and took my...granddaughter to one of the rooms in the castle and kept her there."

Anton started panicking.

"Luke. Do you know where Katia is?"

"Yeah, it's okay. She's with us." Luke pointed towards Clive who was still holding Katia around her shoulder.

"Oh thank goodness. I was afraid I'd never see her again."

Katia came back to her senses slightly and noticed her grandfather.

"Grandfather?"

Anton looked towards her. Clive let her go as she limped her way towards Anton and eventually ran. They hugged each other hard.

"Grandfather!" Katia cried.

"I'm glad you're safe, my dear granddaughter."

Luke allowed them a moment to hug and walked over to Dimitri and his team.

"They asked....what do you know about machines before I said we were experts at them. Then they grabbed us and took us prisoner. Said something like....this'll please the boss."

"No don't blame yourself Horrace. It's not your fault. You never knew." Dimitri looked up. "It's my fault for making you go on this expedition here. I'm the one to blame."

"No. We are to blame for being so careless. I'm sorry Dimitri, but they also know you know how to use machines."

"Great. Now they'll be coming for me."

And coming for him is exactly what they did. Someone apprehended Dimitri from behind without anyone spotting them entering and held him at gun point. The person was...someone familiar.