day 19: making special breakfast

day 19!! woot woot! can we tell i'm really struggling to come up with intros by this point ?? :p

anyway!! their ages are kind of important for this one! janis is 20 and cady is 19.

tw for
discussion of death

enjoy!!

—————

Janis is woken in the wee hours of the morning by her text tone going off a few times.

She rolls over and squints at the clock on her nightstand, finding it to be about four in the morning. Her phone pings again with the two minute notification, desperately coaxing her to check it. So she does. She has to squint and shut one eye to make out the letters, but she manages well enough.

caddycat: Are you up?

caddycat: No it's four in the morning there's no way you're awake

caddycat: You'd better not be

jayjay: i am now

caddycat: Oh. Oopsies.

jayjay: it's okay baby

jayjay: what's up ??

caddycat: Nothing, I'm fine. Sorry I woke you up.

jayjay: we don't do that anymore, remember ? what's up ?

caddycat: I had a bad dream. It's stupid

jayjay: that's not stupid butterfly

jayjay: what can i do ?

caddycat: Could I maybe come over? I'd feel better if I could see you in person

jayjay: of course

caddycat: Thanks lovey

caddycat: I'll be over soon

Janis clicks her phone off and promptly forgets the conversation, drifting off to sleep once more.

-

She's woken once again by her text tone and jolts awake. It turns out to just be Cady letting her know she's outside.

Janis tugs on her reindeer slippers and pads downstairs, trying to quietly unlock the door to let her girlfriend in. Cady's face is red and tear stained when she sees her, and she very clearly rushed over. She's nowhere near dressed for the weather.

"Baby, Jesus," Janis says, immediately pulling her into a hug. Cady's just in thin pajamas and a coat. She didn't even put boots on. "Did you walk over?"

"M-maybe."

"You gotta stop doing that," Janis tuts, fussing over her like a worried mother. "Especially in clothes like that, you're gonna freeze to death."

"I had to see you," Cady mumbles, refusing to look her girlfriend in the eye.

"I could've come to get you," Janis replies, removing Cady's coat and picking her little icicle of a girlfriend up. "Baby, you're freezing!"

"You're t-telling me."

"Come here," Janis hums, carrying her up to her bedroom. Cady waits patiently on her bed while Janis grabs her some warm, dry clothes to change into and willingly lets Janis wrap the two of them into a strange sort of sushi roll with the bedspread. The blankets are still warm after Janis sleeping with them all night, which is nice. Cady sinks into them and inhales her girlfriend's comforting scent. "What happened?"