day 20: family dinner

day 20!! woooooooooooo!!!!!

back to their ages not really being important. janis is 24 and cady is 23 but you lot can imagine whatever you want :)

tw for
accidental self injury
ableism
(and please let me know if i missed anything, i'm very tired atm and it's entirely possible)

enjoy!!!

—————

"Smells good, babe," Janis hums, pressing against Cady's back as she cooks.

"Thanks," Cady replies quietly. Janis frowns when she feels how tense Cady is beneath her.

"You okay?"

"Mmhmm."

"Promise?"

"Mmhmm."

"Okay," Janis hums. Cady's clearly lying, but is also clearly not interested in talking about it. Janis kisses her cheek and pulls away. "I love you."

"I love you too."

—————

Janis finishes getting ready while Cady finishes the last little bit of her dish. Janis wasn't really in the mood for cooking, so hers is just a salad.

Cady's still in the same place, but the smell is slightly different now, so Janis can tell she's made a significant amount of progress. Cady's still so tense, though.

Apparently whatever is running through Cady's mind is getting to her as well, because she fumbles with one of the spices and accidentally dumps about half of it in, and burns herself in the process.

Janis jumps in surprise and looks at her when she hears a series of loud profanities in about four different languages before Cady bursts into tears.

"Whoa, baby," she murmurs, gently heading over to her girlfriend. "Come here, it's okay."

"No," Cady whimpers. "It's not."

"Shh," Janis hushes gently, switching the heat off and moving the pan off the burner. "Let me see your arm."

Cady sobs a couple of times, but does hold out her right arm so Janis can see her injury. There's a harsh red line where she made direct contact with the hot pan, and the whole area is an angry pink shade. She's clearly in a great deal of pain, and that isn't even the whole issue.

"Come here," Janis repeats. Cady sniffles miserably as Janis lifts her on the counter next to the sink, and continues weeping while Janis soaks a cloth in some cool water. She whimpers quietly when Janis gently presses it to her injury. Janis watches in concern as hot tears drip down Cady's nose and onto her lap. She brushes an auburn curl out of the way and gently strokes her wife's cheek. "Here, you hold it for a second. I'm gonna go get the first aid k-"

"No," Cady chokes. "Stay."

"Baby, you need-"

"Please," Cady sobs. Janis takes the cloth back and nods.

"Okay. I'm right here, I won't go," she says quietly. She rests a gentle hand on Cady's bare thigh and lovingly rubs her thumb back and forth. "I got you."

Cady seems to cry a little harder at that, for whatever reason. Janis just lets her get it out, gently pressing the compress to her injury and leaving her other hand on Cady's leg.

"Peanut, you'll make yourself sick crying so hard," Janis says anxiously. "Whatever it is will be okay."

"No," Cady repeats.