| 2. REFUGE |

As I walked into the empty home, I realized how dark it really was

  As I walked into the empty home, I realized how dark it really was. There were no street lights to help illuminate the space once I was inside.

And this was a problem, because I had a few bones to pick with this guy and I couldn't even see where to look for him in the first place. My eyes were squinting and all I saw were silhouettes of scattered furniture pieces. I could see the wallpaper peeling off along the walls. Grass had even begun to grow in some of the cracks of the wood. This sure was a small home, all full of wear and overgrowth.

How far could he have possibly gone? I decided to turn right, leading me into what I presumed to be the kitchen. Almost all of the cabinets were missing doors, as well as their hinges keeping them secure on the wall. No food anywhere. Figured.

"Ahem."

The abrupt noise made my body jolt, fingers already wrapped around the gun which now pointed at the dark figure.

"You should be careful with that." He flicked a cigarette from his finger as the smoke still trailed out of his mouth. "Might hurt someone."

"Who are you?" My gun was still pointed towards him as I spoke. I was proud of myself, my voice sounded firm and upfront. I was holding my ground.

"Harry," he said so nonchalantly. It almost pissed me off more that he was so unaffected by his position versus mine right now.

I just stared at him, trying to figure out what to do. Obviously my stance was the least bit intimidating to him. Which, I didn't completely blame him for. I wasn't short, but he still towered over me. Even with his thick jacket on I could tell there was plenty of strength underneath.

An exasperated exhale left my lips, "Whatever."

I dropped my gun to its neutral position in the back of my jeans. "So are you going to tell me what the fuck is going on?"

He was doing that thing again where he didn't speak. His eyes looked right at me, the expression on his face hard to read. I couldn't tell what he could possibly be thinking.

He took a sharp inhale and stretched his arms, "I mean you have eyes. What do you mean what's going on?" His face tightened back into another arrogant glare. "I should be asking you why you're out in the middle of the night alone."

"And what's that to you?" I shot back at him. "This whole fake-caring about my safety is really fucking rich. If you need an ego boost that badly maybe you should look elsewhere. I'm not your damsel in distress."

He chuckled to himself before looking back up at me, "I'm aware."

I closed my eyes for a moment, "Right."

Without another word I swung my backpack back over my shoulders and headed towards the door.

He grabbed onto my arm right as I tried to pass. "You're not going back out there."