| 23. SHOWER |

I had been awake for at least 30 minutes, but I still pretended I wasn't

I had been awake for at least 30 minutes, but I still pretended I wasn't. I laid there on our mats, eyes closed in a faux slumber. There was rummaging around behind me, but I knew for a fact it was Harry this time. From the small disgruntled swears under his breath, there was no denying it.

I wasn't ready to alert him of my awakening just yet. I wasn't ready to stare into those same eyes that I saw last night, hooded with lust. I wasn't ready to look at those hands so nonchalantly, as if last night didn't have other stories tied to those fingertips. As if I didn't have my own stories across my skin from my own touch.

What the hell was I thinking?

And why did I want it to happen again?

I tossed to the opposite side, annoyed by my thoughts. Regrettably, I peeked an eye out to assess my surroundings and caught a mutual glimpse from his eyes to mine.

Shit.

"Morning," he said with a twist of amusement in his tone.

I exhaled a deep breath from my nose to my mouth. I should've just keep my eyes shut in hopes I would have fallen back asleep. But, it was a little too late for that.

"Morning," I replied back through my still shut eyes. My hands untucked from the side of my cheeks as I sat up on the floor, rubbing my face. My eyes squinted from the onset of lighting it had yet to adjust to as I peeked around the old Foot Locker.

"How does pan-fried Spam and corn sound?" He said over his shoulder. He was hunched over his fire pit from last night, new flames arose from it with a cloud of smoke trailing behind.

I couldn't help but slightly upturn my nose at the idea of the two together. I didn't mind Spam and I didn't mind corn, but together? What kind of breakfast was that?

But, maybe I was being too harsh. I blamed the moodiness on just waking up. Food was food.

"That's fine," I replied as I rolled my blanket up tightly as to fit it back inside my backpack. With a struggled zip, I finally managed to get my zombie-like body slightly more awake. I hated feeling like this, especially considering I could've slept but didn't— couldn't.

Not with all that happened only hours ago.

"Also," he paused to glance at me behind him as he flipped a slice of the meat onto the other side, "I went out earlier to get more of a look around everything. There was another spot that we must have looked over because I found a few more things, hence the luxurious Spam breakfast." His voice was sarcastic as he emphasized his words, motioning his hand that was holding the pan of meat in my direction.

The sizzling noises made my mouth water and I didn't realize how hungry I was until that very moment. Honestly, it was the best smelling thing I had come across in awhile. Corn and Spam never sounded so good after all.