| 20. OLD TIMES' SAKE |

It all seemed easier than I wanted to make it

It all seemed easier than I wanted to make it. Harry's strength was the sole reason I got through the opening so easily. Though, even with his help, my entrance was far from graceful.

My eyes looked down at my outstretched palm as I got back onto flat ground. Tiny scrapes randomly scattered themselves against my skin, a piece of glass even embedded itself inside one of the cuts. I winced as I slowly pulled the fragment out.

I patted my hand against my pants, dabbing off the slight amount of blood that had accumulated. It felt like a bunch of tiny paper cuts, which was annoying but nothing to freak out about.

Harry was off in his own world again. I had hardly been inside and he was already halfway across the room, surveying the surroundings.

A singular drop repeatedly splashed against the ground as it echoed against the walls. It was the most distinct noise I could make out over Harry's steps and rummaging. It was even more eery once I took in the complete view inside.

Beds upon beds were laid out in one big room the size of a basketball court, perhaps even bigger. A lot of them were thrown into piles, left to be only pieces of metal and cloth for the remainder of its time on Earth. From a quick glance I saw some that looked untouched, but as I got closer I saw darkened stains on the mattress. I didn't want to guess what those stains could have come from.

Although I didn't have to guess long.

My foot hit against something hard, but not hard enough to be metal. Immediately I brought my head down to the source. The sunlight through the window highlighted the yellowing bones.

Multiple sets of yellowing bones.

I shrieked in horror, almost tripping over my feet as I spun back around from the scene. Harry quickly turned around with widened eyes set on me. They darted over to the human remains and he gave me a solemn look.

He walked over, putting an arm on my back as he guided me away. My skin crawled underneath me as the scene looped in my head. Who knew what kind of horrors happened inside these walls? Harry didn't look as shocked at the findings and I had a feeling he had a good idea of what those possibilities actually were.

I listened to our footsteps as we walked towards one of the doors. I wasn't sure where we were going or where the door led, but as long as we could get out of that room I didn't care. I was partially worried we would step into another room with the same surroundings, though, if not worse.

Harry abruptly stopped walking.

"Did you hear that?" He whispered, facing me. He darted his eyes side to side to every corner of the room.

I didn't hear anything, but I stopped my movements anyway. I must have either been too sucked into listening to our steps to notice or he had Vulcan hearing. I sided with the latter.