| *12. INSOMNIA* |

Sleeping this time around wasn't as simple

  Sleeping this time around wasn't as simple. There was just so much on my mind that I couldn't shake off. I tossed and turned until I couldn't toss and turn anymore.

All that ran through my brain was what was to potentially come tomorrow. We hadn't discussed much of a plan and it stressed me out. I had a good idea of the direction Alayna would be heading if she was going to Uncle Dan's, but that was it. He was near The Great Sand Dunes of Colorado which was about a 20 hour drive from our destination in the middle of Steens Mountain Wilderness. That was also without stops. The idea of my just-barely-teenage sister traveling that far away alone made me sick to my stomach.

My arms slammed against my sides in frustration, eyes glued to the ceiling. I could feel the exhaustion in my body, but my mind wouldn't reciprocate that feeling. It was one of the most frustrating sensations in the world.

I must have been moving around louder than I meant to because I then heard Harry toss to his side moments later. I was so lost in my own thoughts I had almost forgotten he was in the same room also trying to sleep. I held my breath as to not create anymore commotion and wake him up. I crossed my fingers hoping that was enough.

It was still dark in the room, so details around me were slightly morphed together and it was hard to make out much of anything that wasn't directly in front of me. Spinning my head to the side, I assessed if Harry was still asleep or not.

His eyes were closed and I exhaled a breath of relief that I still held. I turned my head back parallel to the ceiling with my arms crossed against my chest.

"Why are you still awake?" A husky voice mumbled. My head shot back over, making my heart skip a beat. Damn it. Not asleep.

"Why are you?" I replied back, avoiding having to answer his question.

He let out a sleepy laugh, "I didn't exactly choose to be awake right now."

He stretched his arms out, letting out a groan before placing them behind his head for support. We were both staring at the ceiling now.

"Well you can just go back to sleep, I didn't ask you to stay awake with me anyway."

I didn't mean to sound so much like an asshole, it just came out that way. Abundance of nerves had a tendency to do that to me.

"Mm," he hummed out.

I didn't retort, I just continued to stay in my current position. My body felt tense and my heart raced from anxiety that had yet to calm down. It was easier to be stuck in my mind when I was alone and not with someone right beside me asking me questions. It shouldn't have annoyed me so much, but it did. I couldn't quite put my finger on why.

"Ya know," he paused and I could hear him turn his body to face me again. I kept my original stance, pretending I didn't notice. "I really don't get you."