new years party

I parked up my car and sighed, turning off the engine. Need to work up some courage. It's no big deal, just hanging out with people I've mostly met before. Parties are good, no awkward silences, nothing to be scared of. Just don't make an embarrassment of myself by drinking too much and confessing my love for people i only like a little when i'm sober.

It's my first 'social event' I've gone to since moving back to Oregon, I'm surprised and grateful that Ella even reached out to me to invite me. Shit, I wonder if i'll have to stay over there tonight? I have to be careful not to drive back drunk. Okay simple, just don't drink much and order some food to sober up when I leave. It would be weird to have to stay over.

I hope my outfit is okay. I'm wearing my favourite jacket with my grey Levi's shorts over tights, paired with the most 'party like' top i have- just a dark red cami with some lace detail around the hem. Maybe i look stupid, like i'm trying to be edgy or something.

I looked in my rear view mirror. No, you look hot Cat. if you believe something, it becomes true or something, right?
I got my makeup out of my bag and started fixing the eyeliner i did before i left.

A loud knock on my window made me smudge my eyeliner. "Fuck" i let out quietly, wiping it away and looking over.
I looked outside and raised my eyebrows in surprise at who I saw. Dylan was leaning down to the level of my window smiling at me. He was wearing a baggy grey sweater, a forest green coloured cap and matching trousers.
I wound down the window. "hhi" I said, trying to ignore how weird my voice came out. "Dylan! wow, how're you doing?"

"Sorry, I didn't mean to ruin your mascara-" "It's fine it's fine." I felt self conscious, and wanted to change the subject but he spoke before i could.
"I'm doing just greaat!" He said, stepping back from the car. It sounded Sort of sarcastic but i couldn't tell. "So are you here for the party too or were you just planning to live it up in here all night?"

I grabbed my bag and got out, locking my car and walking down the street with him. "I didn't think I'd be seeing you anytime soon Cat, are you visiting Ella or something?" he asked, looking down at me. "Uh, no actually! I've just started at college here so I'll be back for a while hopefully"

"What dude no way! How didn't I know!"

I hadn't talked to Dylan in quite a while. Like most people at this party, i'd kinda lost touch with my old group of friends. How easy it was to talk to him helped me relax and feel less nervous about everyone else.

I looked at the ground as we walked up the porch to the door.
"wait should I have gotten her something?" i asked after ringing the doorbell

"Cat what are you talking about it's literally a new years party" Dylan said semi-quietly.
I laughed. "yeah but shes giving the gift of her home, so we gotta give back or something right?"
"Cat," he said more seriously, "I am the gift. Besides what kind of-"

"Heyyy!!!" Ella opened the front door aggressively and all the distant talking suddenly sounded super close. "Guys come in, come in, you're late!"

Dylan gave her a hug and the talking just naturally kinda started spilling out of his mouth as soon as we got inside. It felt like a lot of people noticed him, but that's just how extroverted people seem.

"Hey, where's the bathroom?" I asked Ella.
"First door on the left upstairs" she smiled at me, flicking one side of her long blonde hair behind her shoulder. "It's so great to see you by the way!" Back in school Ella was my best friend. She was so much cooler and prettier than me, I still don't know why she took to me so much.

I walked up to the bathroom and closed the door. Patted some water on my face, fixed my eyeliner and gave myself a quick pep talk and finger guns in the mirror. Then I flung the door open and prepared for a long night of socialising