Time alone

3 Weeks later

"Oregon's not changed much you know." I sipped my ice coffee, my other hand in the pocket of my bomber jacket.

"I think the government forgets about small towns like ours. Nothing new really happens. The paper factory's abandoned now though." Dylan replied, pointing over the hill down into the valley. I looked where he was pointing at the distant eerie looking empty paper factory. Some of the windows were broken.

"Wow, bet it's haunted.." I said, half joking. We made eye contact for a second and I wondered if he also had the sudden urge to buy a ouija board and cycle down to visit there at night.

"What happened there?" I asked as we walked up to the door of my apartment block.

"There was a fire." He replied. It made me stop turning the key in my door and look at him.

"I thought that there was a really bright sunrise, but then it got brighter and brighter and when I looked out the window and it was just all lit up."

I opened the door and he followed me upstairs, explaining more about what happened. Apparently a bunch of people died. We put our stuff down in my room and I sat up on my window shelf to have a cigarette out of the window.

Dylan took off his hoodie, saying something about how I shouldn't smoke. His shirt came up a bit with the hoodie and I struggled to peel my eyes away fast enough that he wouldn't notice me staring.

He sat down on my bed and leant back, putting his hands behind his head. We'd gotten into a habit now of hanging out a couple days a week. Usually not doing much, just skating or going to the park, running errands or stuff like that.

Since winter is starting we'd spent more time inside at mine, sometimes with Ella too, watching movies or drawing or playing video games. It almost feels like... I have him.

"Maybe we should go down to the factory." I said, looking out my window over to it in the distance. "It could be fun"

"What? That's literally the worst idea ever," He laughed, "but maybe... If you want. I've always been interested in it. I always wanted to get back into school too."

"What? why would you wanna go back there?" I asked, confused. I took a drag from my cigarette. Dylan was still lying back on my bed, looking at the ceiling, so he wouldn't know I was staring at him.

"No not back there as in back, I mean after dark, look around, mess around, go to the pool. It's just fun being somewhere you're not meant to be, at night too."

I told him I knew what he meant, and he kept talking about places he wanted to essentially break into. I looked over at our shoes, next to each other by my bedroom door, his bigger than mine. I felt a weird warm feeling inside, everything just felt right.

There was a knock at the door and Cole walked in, looking upset. "hey, are you, okay dude?" Dylan asked suddenly, sitting up and looking over at him.

Cole sighed and sat down on my bed. "No... you know that guy in my class?"

"You mean Adam?" Me and Dylan said in unison, both looking over at Cole, who was staring down at his feet.

"Yeah, well he has a boyfriend..." He muttered.

I put out my cigarette and sat down between him and Dylan, giving Cole a hug. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.." I told him as he started crying.

"He totally led me on," Cole said between sobs, "who the fuck acts like that towards another guy when they're taken? We kept hanging out and going on what were obviously dates..." He started to calm down a little as I wiped his tears. "... I feel so stupid."

Dylan suddenly looked a bit uncomfortable, maybe he's not used to being around crying people? I thought.

"Hey Cole," Dylan spoke up. "Me, Cat and a couple of our friends are going to the Diner on Friday for dinner, you should come with us, take your mind off things, meet some new people?"

Cole smiled weakly at him, then wiped his face and stood up. "It's fine, it's fine. I just wanted to tell you before you asked about him. I never want to hear his name again you know?"

I nodded at him, and he walked out the room. As the door shut, it was silent, and I suddenly realised how close me and Dylan were sitting.

After a moment of silence he adjusted how he was sitting to put a little bit of space between us.

"So, have you got any new drawings you can show me?" He asked, smiling.

"Yeah, I do actually!" I said, getting up to grab my sketchbook.