Camping pt 2

I sat up, stretching and yawning. I looked beside me to see Joe facing away and still fast asleep.

The light coming in through the yellow tent walls had woken me up. Inside the tent was warm. I could smell sunscreen mixed with that tent smell, and I could see golden dust particles floating around in the bright light.

I got up, feeling some slight pain in my back from sleeping on the ground, then crawled out of the tent.

"I thought you'd get up soon." Dylan said before I noticed him, making me jump. "You can never sleep when there's any light in the room."

"Yeah, wish I could though, Joe was so sweaty I couldn't fall asleep for hours last night. So tired." I said quietly, walking over to where Dylan was and sitting down right next to him in the sand. "It's not like you to be up this early." I added, looking at him.

He looked as handsome as ever in the warm sunrise lighting. His shirt was all creased and half buttoned up, and he had a coke in his hand. He offered me some and I took a sip.

"Just struggling to sleep recently." He said. "I don't know why."

We sat in silence for a second, looking out through the clearing in the trees to the beach. My left knee was almost- but not quite touching his right knee. I thought about asking him about his struggling to sleep.

"Do you remember when we came here, to the beach, for that stupid party at the end of the year? Right after Arianne came back." He said softly, his eyes fixed on the ocean.

"Yeah." I replied, taking his coke out of his hand for another sip.

"That was weird." He admitted. "Being with you and her, then."

I asked, "Why was it weird?". I knew why.

He didn't reply, but just looked at me. I looked out at the sea and pretended I didn't know he was looking.

"Do you think you're a good person?" He asked me, suddenly. I didn't know how to reply, and eventually he kept talking. "Sometimes, I don't know how to be, sometimes I feel like every decision I make is the wrong one."

"You can't regret shit." I told him, "Any one different decision and we might not be right here having this conversation. That's gotta count for something."

"Yeah." He said, but I didn't believe him. Then he said "I am glad we're here having this conversation right now."

I heard a tent unzip, and we both looked behind us to see Ella climbing out. "Hey guys!" She said in her croaky morning voice.

"Morning." Dylan and I said in unison, and she dusted off her knees before coming over and sitting with us.

Over the next couple of hours, the three of us played card games together in the sand. One by one everyone else in the group slowly got up and joined us, until it started to reach the midday heat.

We all got into our swimming stuff and headed down to the water then.

"You look great in that bikini." Joe told me as we were walking down, and I blushed.
"So do you," I replied "In your NOT bikini, I mean, obviously, in... your trunks.. obviously.."

I mentally facepalmed, and Dylan commented "So smooth." as he walked past me. "You're killing it" He added, flashing an 'ok' hand sign to me.

Joe laughed, and we walked waist high into the water together. He splashed me, and I shouted "HEY!", giggling and splashing him back.

"Hey Dyl," Arianne called over to Dylan from the water, "Come in I wanna go on your shoulders!"

"i'm ok here." He replied.