Breakup

2016

I pulled my duvet over my head, hoping whoever was fighting would shut up and let me lie in.
I groaned, rolling over as the argument continued.

I got up, rubbing my eyes and grabbing the closest hoodie to pull on. The arguing got louder and i felt more and more annoyed.

I glanced at my reflection in the mirror when i got up. I pushed my dark blue hair behind my ears, but then remembered how they stick out and put my hair back where it was before. I touched my face, as if i expected to be able to feel all the freckles. I sighed. Eye bags. So... Tired.

I opened my dorm room door and the arguing came into focus. I looked down the hallway to see the girl that lives down my hall, Arianne, fighting with some guy.
"Whatever?! oh my GOD it's like you don't even care! just fuck off! We're done! not that you care, i'm sure you have PLENTY of options, Dylan!" She shouted, walking into her room and slamming the door.

He knocked on it repeatedly as soon as it was slammed in his face. "Come on! Where is this even coming from? Ari?"

"Hey, you can't be in here, man." I started, walking over with my arms crossed. "Guys aren't allowed in the girl's dorms. Oh yeah, and it's 7am..."

He had long brown hair and a skinny face, he looked over at me and frowned a bit. "Dude, can't you read the room a bit here?" He looked like he was upset, but trying to hide it.

"The 'room' in question is 3 feet away from where I was trying to have a lie in so..."

He repeated what I said back in a fake high pitched British accent and I almost laughed.
"Well," he said, sighing. "thanks for adding to the list of reasons i'll literally never come back here again, so bye." He jogged down the hallway and out of the dorms.

-----

I put my headphones on the second the bell rang, grabbing my bag and being the first out the classroom. I walked down the hallway, pushing through the crowd of people flooding out of the different classrooms, just trying to get out. 

The song 'lonely shredder' by Mac DeMarco played through my headphones as I left the school grounds, and started to walk down the pavement. I counted the change in my pocket, fuck yeah, just enough for a milkshake at the diner before I go back home. 

I dusted off my dirty converse and took off my headphones before going into the diner, and walking up to the bar. "Hey, can I get a banana milkshake please? Oh and with oat milk." I put the change down on the counter and the guy looked annoyed that he had to count all the change. I looked around the diner at all the people talking and laughing. I noticed the guy from earlier sitting by himself, with some fries he wasn't eating.

I got my milkshake and walked over, curious. "Hey." I said. He looked up at me. I continued talking, "you're Arianne's boyfriend right?"

He shrugged, and I sat down opposite him, taking one of his chips. He just pushed the whole plate towards me. "Well not anymore... I think. It feels like girls are from a different planet sometimes. She just makes a problem out of nothing, and thinks I don't love her because I had a female friend in my room for like an hour." He paused. "Wait, are you friends with her or something? has she mentioned me today?"

"I just moved here, I don't have any friends. Jess seems okay though." I replied, smiling at him.

"Oh. I thought I hadn't seen you. What's your name?" He asked.
"Cat."

"I'm Dylan," He shook my hand across the table which was super weird. "Sorry I was rude to you earlier, look, I can introduce you to some people at school if you want."