Trip pt2

2016

"OKAY EVERYONE LISTEN!" The teacher called, trying to get everyone's attention. "Just stick to the circled slopes on this map, and you can see my cell number written on the bottom of the page...."

Everyone was standing around in the snow, holding their skiis. I was standing next to Ella, and some guy called Olly that she'd just started hooking up with. He was tall, built and ginger. he seemed okay but her boyfriends don't seem to stick around too long so I never bother much with them.

"....if you get lost come down to this spot here which i've circled on each map, and STAY IN PAIRS!" As soon as the teacher was done talking everyone started walking away and talking amongst themselves.

I turned to Ella and Olly and started talking to them. "Hey guys we should totally go really far up the mountain!"
"Oh no we're only allowed on these slopes.." Olly started, pointing to the map.
"I know but-" I started, but Ella interrupted me. "Cat, let's just not do stupid shit today yeah? Come with us let's go down this one."

They started skiing away and I felt kind of annoyed that they didn't wanna go explore somewhere new with them. I thought about following them, but instead i put on my Skiis and helmet, then shuffled over to the nearest chair lift.

When I got on it I looked out over the mountains, and all the pine trees and snow. It was so beautiful. Maybe going up out of the area we were meant to go was stupid.... and by myself.

When I got off the lift i started skiing down. The course was pretty empty but a pretty harsh terrain. My skiis started going faster and faster and I felt out of control quickly.

I started turning to slow myself down, but it wasn't really working.
I made a sharp turn and collided with a snowboarder, and we both started tumbling down the hill together.
We slid to the bottom of the hill, and i quickly untangled myself from him and got to my feet, grabbing my ski that had come off. I felt so flustered and my body hurt allover.

"Sorry sorry sorry!" I told him.

"Are you okay?" He asked, pulling off his helmet. I looked up at him- Dylan!

"Oh! uh, yeah I'm fine." I dusted myself off and looked down to see the tear in the knee of my trousers.

"You're bleeding." He stated, sounding concerned. "Can you walk?" I stepped forwards and stumbled a bit since I forgot I only had one ski on. He quickly grabbed me and put my arm around his shoulder, pulling me up before I can fall. My knee didn't hurt that bad, and I'm sure I could walk, but for some reason feeling him this close to me stopped me from telling him that.

I took off my ski and leant into him as he helped me walk over to the ski lift.

---------

"That weekend went so fast..." Ella started, tying her shoelace while sitting on her bag. We were all waiting in a queue outside the bus, it was dark and the snow was super thick.

"Yeah, cause you were sucking face the whole time." I joked. Ella gave me a sharp look in return and I was caught off guard. She stood up and looked directly at me.

"I.. was joking." I said awkwardly. Snow was falling quite thick now and I brushed it off of my eyes. I just wanted to get on the bus.

"Don't you like Olly?" She asked me, stepping towards me. 

"Oh uh, I mean, I don't really know him, but-"

"You never make an effort with my boyfriends, Cat." She said, crossing her arms. "And we weren't together the Whole time.'

"Ella, I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude..." I tried to think of what to say to make thing easier. "You do kind of get a bit.. enveloped.. by your relationships.."

Suddenly Olly appeared and put his arm around Ella. "You guys okay?" He asked, squeezing her shoulder then glancing over at me.

"Actually I think I'm gonna sit with you Olly." Ella said, pulling him onto the bus with her without looking back at me. Shit, I know I'll need to apologise later.

I got on the bus by myself, looking around for somewhere to sit.

"Cat!" I heard Dylan call across the bus, making me turn around quickly.  He waved at me, leaning against the overhead luggage compartment with one arm awkwardly. He looked so cute in his oversized sweater, baggy blue jeans and his goofy smile. I think I was starting to like him, but we we're just friends. I guess I'm sitting with him again.

I walked down the Aisle towards him, and suddenly tripped and stumbled forwards. I managed to get my footing and not fall, and I looked behind me at what I tripped at.

Arianne,  Dylan's ex was there looking at me. I think.. she tripped me up?

She gave me a big bright fake smile and waved, moving her fingers individually.

I turned around and kept walking up to Dylan, trying to forget it happened.

"Hey Cat," he started, grabbnig my bag from my hands and putting it in the overhead storage. "You gonna sit with me again?"

Before I could respond he cut me off again. "Oh, you got something.." He brushed some snow off of my hair, standing super close to me. I swallowed and looked up at him, before he suddenly sat down and smiled, patting the seat next to him to indicate my assigned space.

When I sat down he got out his DS and for the first half hour of the journey I watched him play Mario and we both talked and laughed about the game. It felt so natural to hang out with him and just talk, I could tell things were gonna be different between us after this trip.

After a while he yawned loudly, then complained about the bus not having enough space to stretch his legs. "I'm so tired..." His sentence trailed off and he handed me the DS. It was pretty late, and still an hour's journey until we got back to school. He yawned again and I kept playing the DS game from where he left off.

After a few moments I felt a pressure on my shoulder. I guess he'd fallen asleep and leaned in my direction, and his head was on my shoulder. I took a deep breath, feeling anxious, and was careful not to move to wake him up. I kept playing the game but wasn't focusing on it, just the feeling of his head on my shoulder and the soft sound of his deep breathing. I wondered what he was dreaming about.