Park

2021

"Cat?" I heard a loud knocking on my door, waking me up.

I rolled over, hoping he would go away. My door slowly opened.

"Heyy, happy new year!!" Cole said excitedly , my door closing behind him.

"Literally why would you walk in if I didn't answer?" I asked, sitting up and rubbing my eyes.

He sat down on the end of my bed. "I just had this feeling that you were here and wanted me to come in, like a telepathic sort of thing you know?" I blinked at him, not replying.

"Okay fine I thought you weren't in so I was just gonna steal some bleach if you have it, like hair bleach. That guy I told you about in my class said he likes blondes so uh, you know.."

"Whatever, there could be some under my sink just please get lost i'm too hungover."

I lay back down as he walked through to my bathroom and searched for it. Cole, my flatmate, was the only friend I made at college so far. I guess i'll keep trying to connect with my old highschool friends like the people at the party last night. Being 21, I was older than most people on my course who were 18 and 19. Cole was 20, so we bonded pretty fast being the closest in age.

"Oh and Cat?" Cole called from my bathroom. "Some guy came by earlier looking for you."

"Who?" I frowned. I stretched, feeling the sunlight hit my back as it streamed in from the window behind my bed.

"Uhh, about 6'1, brown hair, a generic white guy... Brian or something?" "Dylan?" I asked quickly.

Cole emerged from the bathroom, holding the bleach. "You hook up with him last night or something?" I got out of bed, pulling on some baggy jeans and an oversized sweatshirt. "No, no, he's someone I used to know when I lived here before actually-" I grabbed my phone and texted him to meet at the skatepark.

I looked in the mirror, tying my hair up and putting on some mascara. I put on some lip balm then my favourite sunglasses to protect my hungover brain from sunlight. Why am I trying to look good right now?

-----

When I got to the park I saw Dylan already there. He jogged over, grinning. "Cat!" He gave me a hug which surprised me. I hugged him back tightly.

"My flatmate said you came by?" I asked, hopefully. "Yeah," He replied, sitting down so his legs dangled over the drop in to the skate park. "I wanted to check you didn't die overnight." He unzipped his bag and passed something to me. I opened it, A jam sandwich and a pack of crisps.

"You got me... a packed lunch." I stated. He shrugged. "I don't have the money for takeout right now so here's your hangover cure."

I started eating it, looking out at the park. I hadn't been here in so long, but it looked the same.

"You said last night you wanted to be friends again so consider this your 'welcome home' gift." He continued, scratching his ear for a second.

"I don't really remember much of what I said to be honest." I replied, sipping my water. Then I turned to look at him. He looked sort of disappointed. I said; "Hey, remember when you first bought me here? After Arianne dumped you."

He laughed, "Yeah of course, I thought you were so cool."

"Oh, so like I'm not now?" I asked.

"Not really," he laughed. "You'd just always trick people into thinking you were because of the confidence and the nice clothes." "Shut up."

He got up and pulled me up by my wrist. "Right it's time I see you skate then."

I pulled my wrist back. "No, I don't think I can anymore, I'm serious!"

He took my sunglasses off and threw them down onto his bag. "Come on Cat, you're not telling me everything I taught you has just disappeared into thin air? What you said last night was bullcrap."

He handed me the board, and I took it, taking a deep breath. I put it by the edge of the bowl and got ready to drop in. I leant my weight forwards, but I felt the board push out forwards from underneath me. I slipped and fell on my ass.

"AH!" I shouted, getting up and rubbing the side of my hip. Dylan started laughing at me, and I told him to fuck off.

"Now watch the master," He grabbed the board and did a kick-flip. I considered taking the piss out of him, but instead "Holy shit, you still got it!" came out of my mouth.

He grinned, "I know, right! But you'll catch up in no time."

"I don't even have my deck anymore." I replied. My hangover seemed to have mostly left. "I love the view from here. It looks the same as before."

Dylan came and stood next to me, looking out at the view of the sunset over our town. It was cold, but a good cold. "I missed it here." I said.

"It was so weird when you left." He said, sort of quietly. I looked at him. It's hard not to look at him. He was never that good looking in school, but lots of things about him are different now. He's so much older.