Paper factory

2 weeks later

"Have you got everything?" Dylan asked, as I closed my door behind me. I glanced him up and down, he was wearing a graphic grey sweatshirt that came up baggy on him, some jeans and a black beanie. It was dark enough that it wasn't too easy to see him fully.

"Yeah... think so.." I said, rummaging through my bag quickly. "..yeah. Good to go."

Before saying another word, he turned and jumped onto his skateboard, skating down the long hill.

I followed shortly after, breathing in the cool night air. "Wait up!" I called.

I wobbled on my skateboard for a second, grabbing his arm lightly for a moment to stop myself from slipping.

We skated down off the main road through the old tunnels by the overpass. We went so fast that I thought how if I fell it'd hurt a lot. I tired not to think about that. My heart was beating with adrenaline.

Dylan had broken up with Arianne two weeks and three days ago. He hadn't talked about it much. We had planned to go down to the paper factory a week and a half ago, but he'd needed time alone after the breakup.

I weirdly and selfishly hoped that as soon as we were both available he'd ask me out.

After he obviously wasn't going to I felt stupid for hoping it. We'd just been friends, like always. Everyday since the breakup he felt less and less distant, though, and more like his old self.

I followed Dylan's trail as he ollie'd over a ledge to a small footpath through the trees, only just managing to make that same jump myself.

When we got there, we both came to a stop and looked up at the building- or what we could even see if it in the nightlight.

"Well that's terrifying." I said, looking up at the torn, darkened building, plants and rust growing thick and heavy around the outside. The huge chimney on the side had partially collapsed.

"If ghosts do exist-" Dylan started.

"They don't." I said.

"-but if they DO exist, this is where they'd be." He said confidently, starting to walk over to the entrance of the building.
He tried the door but it wouldn't budge.

"Did you bring a ouija board, to talk to them, then?" I asked, opening a window, which partially fell apart as I did.

"No way, are you kidding? I don't mess with that stuff." He said seriously, throwing our skateboards through the window before offering me a leg up.

I put my foot on his clasped hands and he boosted me through the window, before pulling himself in after me, and turning on a torch.

"You couldn't have found a more 90s horror movie type torch, could you?" I asked him, and he laughed, before shining it right into my eyes and saying "Is there a problem here?"

"Geez, stop!" I said, covering my eyes with my hand, and he aimed it back around the room.

"You weren't kidding about the fire being huge, huh?" I said, looking at all the charred stuff I could barely make out to be desks, fans, bins and junk.

"Yeah, lit up the whole town." He told me, opening the door to the next room. "Careful if anything falls down, Cat."

I followed him through, and for the next hour or so we just poked around at everything and pretended not to be creeped out.

I saw Dylan go through some double doors, and I waited a moment before coming up behind him, and jumping him suddenly.

"HEY, hey, that's not funny, not cool!" He said, practically jumping out of his skin.