Chapter 1

“ I hate you!” I scream at the top of my lungs, as I slam the screen door at the side of my house.

I’m just so done with my parents. I cry when I’m angry, and I was furious. I can feel tears rimming my eyes, as I storm down the street. I know exactly where I’m going; it’s the place I always end up when shit like this happens. I quicken my pace as I feel a light drizzle coming from the sky. My hands are wrapped tightly around my stomach, I feel as though my body will crumble if I don’t.

Finally I’m here, rapping at the crappy tin door waiting for him to answer. I tap my fingers anxiously against my arm, my mind on one thing.

“Hey sweet-cheeks” a voice emerges from within the darkness of the house.

“Hey” I reply cautiously.

“You lookin’ for the usual?” he asks in his grumbly voice.

“No, I need something... stronger” I say wearily.  What am I doing? All I know is I need to not feel anything right now, I don’t want to.  

“Yeah I got you girl, come in”

I follow him inside, looking around at how grungy the place is but I’m not surprised really. He tosses me a small baggy of white powder that he picks up from the coffee table. Perfect.

“How much?” I ask abruptly. 

Seth walks right up, his face inches away from mine.  I’m not scared of him, but when he puts his hand on my waist I brush him off.

How much?” I press.

“I don’t want you’re money, baby” he says suggestively. I can tell he’s high and probably drunk too. He grabs for my wrist and I try and shake free but I can’t, his grip is too firm.

“Get off!!”

--

“Allison! Allison you’re dreaming wake up!” Josh grabs my arms trying to stop me from smacking him in the face.

“Get off!” I scream at him not realizing that I’m not back in Seth’s house, I’m in Josh’s bed.  Josh’s warm, soft bed. My breath shortens into gasps, I’m hyperventilating.  

“Shhhhh” he says tentatively, measuring my response to his gentle touch on my arm.

I collapse into his open arms, trying to control my breathing. 

“Was it about him again?” he asks, rubbing my back soothingly.

I just nod, still focusing on trying to calm my breathing down. We lie back down, Josh keeping his arms wrapped tight around me.

“I’m sorry,” I whisper to him.

“None of this is your fault” was all he said. It took us a while but eventually we fell back asleep.

-

Josh and I became exclusive after I came back after the scare with the break-in. I have an apartment now downtown Vancouver that is big enough to double as my art studio. I finished up my high school and I was accepted to start art school in the fall as a late applicant. So much has changed and most times I’m so surprised at how ‘up’ my life is looking. Most days are good but it’s never really easy, the nightmares don’t exactly help either.  

I usually end up sleeping over at Josh’s though, my night terrors have gotten so bad that I end up driving over in the middle of the night any way.

I open my eyes to see that the other half of Josh’s bed is empty and I’m not really surprised, I check my phone and its almost 1 o’clock in the afternoon. I pad into the kitchen rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.