Chapter 4

"Morning gorgeous" Josh says in his raspy morning voice as I roll toward him, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. 

"Hey" I say, "How long have you been up?" 

"Not long, the rain woke me up though, we're in for a pretty bad storm I think" he responds. 

"Shit really? How bad?" I ask wearily. 

"I'm not sure, I'll check" he said, picking up his phone. I suddenly become nervous thinking about the weather out there, I was terrified of storms. I pull the soft white duvet cover up over my head, hiding my face and sliding further down toward the end of the bed. 

"Hide and seek?" Josh asks, laughing. 

"I hate storms" I say, my voice muffled from the blankets I have wrapped around my head. 

"Well it looks like its going to be a bad one, we're just going to have to stay here all day" he says jokingly, trying to pull the blanket off of me. A loud crack of thunder rings out and I let out a scream, squirming under the covers. 

"Whoah, its okay Alli, it just a storm, you're being a baby" he says finally removing the covers and revealing my face, "Oh please are you really are that scared?" 

I nod my head in response, pouting out my lower lip. My dad used to say that when I pouted I melted his heart and he could never say no to me. I felt a pang of sadness course through me and I pull the covers back up to hide the tears that are coming to my eyes. 

"Hey stop" Josh says, pulling the blankets back down, "Are you crying?" 

"No!" I yell frustrated that he was being such a dick. 

"Relax Allison, there's no reason to be so sensitive all the time" he huffs. 

I was never the one to fight back, it never benefits anyone to loose your temper, but I was so frustrated that he was being so insensitive. 

"Why are you being so mean?" I yell, getting up out of the bed. I was only wearing my bra and underwear and the draft coming from the window sends chills up my spine. 

"Don't try and make me feel like the bad guy here! This is ridiculous what are we even fighting about?" he says, trying not to raise his voice. 

"We aren't fighting" I say sternly. "This isn't fighting, I don't want to fight with people anymore. I used to fight with my family and now they're gone and there isn't a way to take back those fights and tell them you've always loved them and you didn't mean it" I say, my voice shaking. 

"What is this all about?" Josh asks sadly. 

"I just love you okay? I love you and I need you and I don't have anyone else.  And I've hated storms ever since the night my family was killed. The sound of thunder reminds me of how everything felt that night and its still too much sometimes. I know I'm sensitive, and I'm sorry I cry at the drop of a hat but I'm trying, I'm trying but I'm not perfect."

Josh gets up from the bed and walks toward me. "I'm sorry Alli" he whispers and I turn away putting my face in my hands. I can feel him wrap his arms around me, his skin so warm and soft I can't help but melt into him. A huge crack of thunder rings out and i jump, letting out a squeel. 

"Don't worry you're safe with me babe" Josh says pulling me in closer and nestling his head into my neck.

Josh's POV

I plug my phone into the sound system that Allison has in her living room and turn up the volume as loud as I can. Allison gives me a puzzled look from across the room.