Chapter 27

Increasing her speed Emma's feet thudded on the ground as she jogged forward following the path past the bushes and big trees, making her way through the thick fog she finally halted to a stop in a clearing. Leaning down she rested the palms of her hands on her knees and stared at the comforting green of the grass beneath her feet. Her chest rose and fell as she panted and gasped to catch her breath. 

A bird whistled sweetly from a tree brunch right next to her reminding her that it was just dawn, the bird flapped it's wings and flew down to another branch relatively closer to the ground. Probably it was confused or curious about the woman who had just arrived sprinting like a mad woman at such early hour of this beautiful day. 

The whole night Emma just tossed and turned in her warm bed only to stay wide awake because of the coldness gripping her insides. It was impossible to forget for her - that look in Brandan's eyes last night when...

At last she gave up on getting sleep and stumbled out of the warmth of her bed which should have been providing her comfort but the reality was the exact opposite of that. She got out of the house thinking that a run in the park would rescue her from this feeling of suffocation but unfortunately it wasn't working as planned. 

Yes, once she had wanted to see him like this - she had wanted him to feel what she felt years ago. Let him know about the amount of hurt her heart endured by making him experiencing the same. Her revengeful thoughts demanded it all. 

But then - why did it hurt so much now that she had seen the same hurt in his eyes? She was almost physically feeling pain just thinking about how sad he looked last night. 

She wiped away the sweat covering her forehead with the back of her wrist and stood up in her full height. 

She was about to start running again to a random direction but paused seeing a familiar figure in her peripheral vision. Turning her head she looked at the figure sitting stiff on a park bench - his back facing her. Her sight of him was blurry due to the fog though it was getting lighter and lighter as daylight was slowly spreading on to the face of the earth. 

Before she knew it herself she was moving at the direction of the familiar figure as if she was hypnotized. Quitely she sat next to him, not looking at his face she just stared ahead of them with her arms crossed across her chest - copying him. 

"You're panting." He figured out.

"You couldn't sleep." She said ignoring what he said. None of them still looking at one another.

"Looks like you couldn't as well." He said in a whisper slowly.

That was when Emma turned her head a little to look at him and what she saw made her want to grab the man beside her in a furious hug. She controlled herself at the end moment from acting out her heart, instead she sighed a breath and looked away and gazed at the lake in front of them but it was of no use - the dark circles around his eyes had already been encraved in her memory.

"Everything will be alright Brandan. They'll come around." She said in seriousness.

"Would they?" 

He turned to face her and so did she as she heard the helplessness in his voice. The summer sun shone brightly at that moment - clearing all the hints of fog. Against her better judgement she placed her hand on top his which was now resting on his lap, she gave his hand a soft squeeze. Her action spoke in the absence of words.

------------------------------

--------------------------------------