Chapter 9

Emma placed sloppy kisses on both Sarah's and Sammy's chubby cheeks, while Sarah grinned Sammy -- the rough and tough little one rubbed his cheek groaning. But they both returned the affection giving quick kisses on Emma's both cheeks making her smile.

She engulfed them in a short hug. "No funny business, don't run around too much and no trying to run to the streets. Ask Jenna if you want to talk to me, okay?"

"Okayyy...," They chorused together, shaking their heads up and down several times. 

Their mischievous eyes, however, were saying that not many of those commands were going to be followed. But then again, this was what childhood was all about -- being naughty, trying to break the rules, doing things in their own way.

But a parent has to do what a parent has to do. Try slowing them down a little so they wouldn't go out of control and go to the total wild side while growing up.

Jenna was their baby sitter, a middle aged woman always with a pleasant smiling face, friendly and utterly good to kids. A total grandma material she was, but way too young to be one. Sarah and Sammy liked the woman, but what they didn't like was listening to anyone other than Emma.

Door bell rang twice and Emma opened the door to let Jenna in. 

She left the house and kids under Jenna's care and authority after showering another pair of kisses to the little ones.

Today she wanted to take a ride of that subway train to her office. All the while wishing that her broken down car which was getting repaired in the garage to get well soon. It had been just three days since her long term companion - the second hand SUV had betrayed her for the first time in two and a half years right in the middle of the road. And already she was missing driving her own car, it had a feeling of independence in it and Emma was itching to get that feeling back. 

Unfortunately though, she got a call from the mechanic yesterday. Apparently, her car's life line was in the way to it's funeral. It seemed like this was the final indication for Emma to buy a brand new vehicle.

While walking in her white blouse, pencil skirt and work heels, Emma pondered over the idea. Yes, she could definitely do that -- buy a new car. Her salary had increased last month and she was hoping for a promotion soon. So it wouldn't be that bad to get themselves the pleasure of having a new car.

Unlocking her office door with her card, Emma walked in. She placed her shoulder bag upon the work desk with a sigh, knowing she had A long day ahead. It was the busiest day of the week and never failed to leave her exhausted.

She made herself comfortable in her swivel chair, thinking that when she would get home she would talk about buying a new car to Sarah and Sammy. Though they were just five and a half years old, Emma never looked down at them. She treated her children almost as equals... almost. And as a reward she had earned respect from her children, not by scaring them how other mothers would. But yes, sometimes she had to behave a little scary... well, that was the demand of being a mother.

She chuckled to herself while turning on her computer, a heated argument would surely arise over the color choice of their future car - "blue or pink".

Emma was still smiling when there was a knock at the tinted glass door, she looked up from the computer to see Jonathon's head poking in through the slightly opened door. Emma made a fake irritated face.

Jonathon. 

Being the boss of this banking domain, he was dominating and controlling but only a few knew that he had a total different side to his personality, a friendly and a very kind one that is. One of those few to know his this side was Emma. Jonathon liked her and trusted her over all the confidential issues and prospects of the company. It was from him Emma got the hints of getting a promotion soon.