Chapter 1 - Hand of an Emperor

The cool air was filled with the chirping of songbirds and the rustling of small woodland creatures. The mid-afternoon sun was obscured by the thick canopy of leaves. Light peeked through the gaps, dappling the forest floor with spots of brightness. Ahead, a few roughly-built wooden buildings were visible through the treeline.

A heavy thud rang out, and the sounds of the forest paused for a moment before resuming. Rin Sai gathered the final pieces of firewood and placed them on a large stack. He wiped the sweat from his forehead, looking up at the sun with a satisfied grin.

Cupping his hands, Rin called out toward a small cottage that stood apart from the rest of the buildings. "Mom, I'm going out to explore for a bit. I'll be back before dinner!"

Before these words had finished leaving his mouth, Rin was already sprinting off. A cool summer breeze rustled through the leaves, ruffling his long, dark hair.

Through the trees, a faint voice called out after him. "Be careful up there! The rocks will be slippery from the rain. If you fall in a hole and this old mother of yours has to climb up and rescue you, don't even think about stepping foot on that mountain again!"

The little cottage was already out of sight, obscured by the dense foliage. Rin Sai lived with his mother on the outskirts of an unimaginably vast tract of wilderness known as the Endless Forest. This forest was called endless because no one truly knew just how far it stretched.

It was said that not even one percent of the Endless Forest had been explored by humans. The deeper you went, the more dangerous it became. Their village was considered to be on the outer edge, but there were still hundreds of kilometres of forest between them and the nearest human settlement.

Rin Sai exuded a youthful enthusiasm as he trotted through the forest excitedly. He wore plain and somewhat threadbare clothes. His dark brown trousers and shirt had been patched and stitched so many times that they resembled a patchwork quilt. The only garment in decent condition was a light tan coloured cloak that trailed below his knees.

Between the trees, an oddly-shaped mountain gradually came into view. Partially shrouded in mist, it rose majestically above the treeline like a giant fist punching out of the earth. Its peak was the highest point for thousands of kilometres. The surrounding land was unusually flat, affording an unparalleled view if one was foolish enough to brave the heights.

Rin was fascinated by the grandeur and mysterious origins of this mountain. When he had first arrived at the village with his mother, the other children had told him the legend of Emperor Fist Mountain. It was said that this mountain was the result of a heaven-shaking clash between two supreme existences.

At that time, an overwhelming evil had darkened the land. As the world hung on the brink of destruction, a great and heroic emperor emerged. This emperor took the form of a giant titan and fought against this force of darkness. Finally, the emperor emerged victorious, but he did not remain unscathed.

In the end, he trapped the evil force in the palm of his giant hand. To ensure that the threat would remain contained forever, the emperor was forced to sever his own arm and seal the evil within it. It was said that this mountain was that very same arm. For this reason, it was called Emperor Fist Mountain.

To Rin, an adventurous but sheltered 12-year-old boy with little knowledge of anything beyond his secluded forest home, Emperor Fist Mountain was the most prominent thing in his life. Naturally, he took every chance he could to explore its mysteries. Over the years, Rin had traversed just about every section of passable terrain until he knew the area like the back of his hand.