Chapter 15 - Beast Contract Seal

[TPO v1 Ch. 15 - Beast Contract Seal] (#15)

"You are a Beast Tamer? What is that?" Rin asked curiously.

"You don't know?" Ren Tao looked slightly surprised. "Beast taming is one of the myriad paths of cultivation. There are wild creatures capable of cultivation called spirit beasts, and they can be controlled with a contract seal. Once the contract is formed, a spirit beast can be stored within your body and summoned at will. Many cultivators use contract beast as a mount or combat pet."

"So there is such a thing..." Rin was startled. It seemed that the more he learned about Ren Tao, the less Rin understood him. "Then, you must have some contracted spirit beasts, right? Why didn't you use them to escape the prison yourself?"

"Of course I do. Normally, escaping that prison would be no problem. However, that bastard Virion Reinalt placed a Spirit Suppressing Seal on me, rendering me temporarily unable to use my spiritual energy." Ren Tao sighed heavily.

"But I can still teach you the Beast Contract Seal technique so you can form a contract with your Golden Spirit Mouse. You can consider it interest on the debt I owe you." Ren Tao said with a slight smile.

Ren Tao quickly explained the Beast Contract Seal technique. It was relatively simple, requiring only a drop of blood and a basic incantation. But Ren Tao cautioned that the effectiveness of the seal would depend on the spiritual strength of the user.

After Rin memorized the steps, he attempted to form a contract with the Golden Spirit Mouse. Since this was his time, Rin had to open a spiritual space within himself. To his surprise, everything went smoothly and the little golden mouse disappeared. Rin could vaguely sense that the mouse had entered a strange new space, like a bubble in the back of his mind.

"What? So fast?" Ren Tao looked completely bewildered when Rin succeeded on his first attempt.

"Hm?" Rin looked at him questioningly.

"Oh, it's just that it normally takes a few tries to get the hang of it, but it seems your soul is abnormally powerful... Ah, but don't expect it to be this easy next time. That baby mouse had already decided to stay with you, but Spirit Beasts are normally quite resistant to forming contracts. They only submit in the face of overwhelming power."

Although Ren Tao put on a calm act, he was secretly unnerved. Rin had no way of knowing how unusual his display had been. He had instantly succeeded after a brief verbal explanation, but most Beast Tamers had to study the art for months or even years before they could form their first contract seal.

"Remember, the number of beasts you can hold depends on the strength of your soul. Most people can only hold two or three at most. Also, the spiritual space is different from the outside world, so a beast can go many months without eating or drinking. However, this space isn't too suitable for cultivation. Remember to take your mouse out on occasion so that it has a chance to grow stronger."

After Rin had formed a contract with the Golden Spirit Mouse, it was time to depart for the Burning Heaven Sect. Rin, Nayla, Aisha, and Ren Tao all donned inconspicuous grey cloaks, hiding their faces in the shadows of their deep cowls. Less than a day had passed since the prison break, so the RMG would likely be patrolling the streets in full force.

The group of four slowly made their way through a maze of back alleys and winding streets. Luckily, the streets were already filled with people, so it was easy to blend in.

As they entered the eastern quadrant, the shops and houses gradually became more sparse. Eventually, they arrived at a massive walled and gated complex. Above the great wooden doors, the words "Burning Heaven" were emblazoned in bold, white letters. Many buildings were visible over the stone walls, giving the appearance of a self-contained city within the larger Ravenwood City.