Chapter 12 - Prison Break

Volume 1: Chapter 12 - Prison Break [TPO #12]

"Want to leave this place?"

The girl regarded Rin blankly for a moment, her expression showing no fear, no emotion at all. Finally, she began to nod slowly as if not entirely understanding what Rin was asking her.

"We will have to move quickly and silently, and you must listen to every word I say and obey without question," Rin said in a hushed tone. "Even if everything goes according to plan, the chances of being captured or killed are high. Do you understand what I am saying?"

The girl nodded again, more emphatically this time, her eyes seeming to shine in the darkness. Rin quickly made his decision and unlocked the cell door as quietly as he could. He eased the cell door open slightly, wincing at the squeak of rusty hinges, and stepped back to allow the girl room to squeeze through. The girl timidly stepped into the corridor and allowed Rin to unlock her manacles.

"Follow close and stay quiet." Rin placed a finger on his lips meaningfully.

The girl nodded and began to follow silently behind Rin like a second shadow. They reached the end of the cell block without further incident. None of the other prisoners had enough mental strength or awareness to pay them any mind.

At the end of the cell block, a stone corridor extended in either direction. Rin hesitated for a moment here, unsure of which path to take. He could easily retrace his steps and return to the main entrance. But to try to escape that way was asking for death, not to mention that Rin was completely unwilling to abandon Nayla. The other direction presumably went deeper into the complex, where Nayla was likely imprisoned.

Just then, a furry little shape scampered towards them, coming from deeper within the complex. Noticing Rin, the golden mouse stopped and stood on its hind legs, frantically gesturing with its paws and squeaking.

The little girl peeked around Rin and gasped upon seeing the mouse acting so strangely before clapping her hands over her mouth. She shot Rin an extremely fearful glance, but he ignored her and walked quickly towards the mouse.

"You found her?" Rin whispered excitedly, hardly daring to believe the possibility.

The golden mouse squeaked and turned back toward the direction it had come from. It paused for a moment, looking back as if making sure Rin was following. Rin gave it a thumbs up and flashed an encouraging grin.

They had been walking for only a few moments when the mouse let out an alarmed squeak and darted into a side passage. Rin and the little girl quickly followed and hid in the shadows. A few seconds later, a guard passed by. After his footsteps faded, Rin let out a breath of relief, and they continued down the winding corridor, deeper into the prison complex.

This pattern repeated several times, but they somehow always remained unnoticed. There were many branching passageways and empty rooms to hide in, and the mouse always gave warning well in advance. It was somehow able to detect the guards from dozens of metres away, even through solid stone.

[This little fellow is truly skilled...]

Rin was amazed by the mouse's sharp intelligence and a little envious of its practically supernatural perception. His own senses felt dull and useless in comparison.

Finally, the mouse paused at the entrance to a corridor and pointed a tiny paw. Rin cautiously approached and peeked around the corner. Two guards stood to either side of an iron-bound wooden door, perhaps a dozen metres away. Their postures looked relaxed as they chatted casually, not seeming to pay too much attention to their surroundings.

Rin considered his options, his mind racing. Now that he had actually found his target, he needed to come up with a plan.

[A straight-up fight is out of the question. My experience is too lacking, and I don't even know any real combat techniques. Even if I somehow win, the noise would probably alert the entire complex.]