Chapter 20 - The Alchemic Path

[TPO #21] Chapter 20 - The Alchemic Path

When Rin woke up in the real world, he immediately noticed a faint mental connection to his spiritual sea.

"My soulgate! It's fully opened!"

As Rin investigated this new mental gateway, an unfamiliar name entered his mind.

"Primal Chaos Code...what's this? Did opening my soulgate unlock a new memory about my cultivation technique?"

When Rin spoke this name out loud, he shivered involuntarily. It was only a name, but for some reason, these three words filled Rin with a sense of profound awe as well as a feeling of dread that stemmed from the depths of his soul.

Rin could tell instinctively that this "Primal Chaos Code" undoubtedly had a terrifying origin. It was quite possibly a technique that was capable of shaking the heavens and razing the earth.

However, after some time passed, Rin was disappointed when no more information appeared in his mind. There were only those three mysterious words and a vague sense that they were somehow related to his Source Origin Veins.

"It seems that opening my soulgate was only enough to obtain a fragment of this memory. Besides the name, I don't have any new information," Rin said, shaking his head regretfully.

When Airi had first appeared, back in the Desolate Waste, she had bestowed a staggering amount of information directly into Rin's mind. But Rin's soul was only strong enough to grasp a single technique, the Source Origin Veins. The rest of the memories were locked away, deep in his unconscious mind.

"If I want to unseal more memories, I will have to continue tempering my soul. There is still a lot of hard work ahead..." Rin sighed lightly.

"Let's put this mystery technique to the side for now. Airi told me to use my spiritual sense to investigate my source veins...the question is, how do I do that?"

Rin closed his eyes and furrowed his brow in concentration. He began to investigate his newly opened soulgate, looking for something that might help him activate this "spiritual sense".

Spiritual sense was also called the cultivator's sixth sense. It described a form of extrasensory perception that used the power of the soul.

To use spiritual sense, one first had to open their soulgate. Once it was open, it would then become possible to draw spiritual energy from the spiritual sea. This spiritual energy was infused into the five senses to enhance them.

However, not everyone was capable of using spiritual sense. Even if your soulgate was open, it still required very precise control. Moreover, the power of one's spiritual sense was directly linked to the strength of their soul.

Average cultivators only unlocked this ability after decades of tempering and meditation. Even then, most only obtained minor benefits and could not extend their senses past their immediate surroundings.

"I have no choice but to try. Here goes nothing."

Rin took a deep breath and attempted to activate the spiritual channel in his mind. Surprisingly, the response was almost immediate. Rin felt his spiritual sea begin to stir, seeming to come alive.

Rin was smiling broadly, but he remained calm, quickly suppressing his excitement. Becoming too emotional would only interfere with his spiritual connection.

"Good. Now, I just have to draw some spiritual energy out..."

Exhaling slowly, Rin willed a thread of spiritual energy to emerge from his soulgate.