Chapter 21 - Alchemic Novice

The next day, Doctor Li began to teach Rin the basics of using spiritual sense in alchemy.

"What we call 'spiritual sense' is really just merging soul force into your perception. This heightened sense is useful in combat but even more so in alchemy. We use spiritual sense to carefully observe our alchemy so we can quickly make any necessary adjustments to the refinement process."

Rin was completely serious as he listened intently to Doctor Li's explanation. This was a rare opportunity to learn from a true expert, and Rin would not let it go to waste.

As an Alchemic Grandmaster, Doctor Chen Li's qualifications were unquestionable. In Ravenwood City, he represented the absolute peak of the Alchemic Path. This also made Chen Li one of the most powerful soul cultivators in the city.

"Once your soul force becomes stronger, your spiritual sense will develop into spiritual strength," continued Doctor Li. "Spiritual strength will allow you to refine medicines without ever touching your furnace, bringing your alchemy to the next level. It is an essential tool for all true alchemists."

Unable to hold back his curiosity, Rin interrupted suddenly, "Spiritual strength? What is that?"

Doctor Li didn't seem to mind this outburst, smiling like an indulgent grandfather who spoiled his grandson too much.

"When your soul force is powerful enough to affect the world directly, this is what we call spiritual strength. Think of it as actively manifesting your spiritual sense instead of using it to perceive passively," Doctor Li explained.

After some thought, Rin began to speak slowly. "Directly affecting the world with soul force...I think I understand. You condense your spiritual sense until it becomes so dense that it is like a physical force. At this point, your soul force becomes almost like an extension of your body."

"Mm, precisely. Most people are unable to grasp this concept so quickly. Your vision and insight are exceptionally sharp for your age," praised Doctor Li.

"Just as spiritual sense is an extension of your senses, spiritual strength is like an extension of your body. However, spiritual strength is far more precise than the clumsy human body. It allows us to control every step of the alchemic process. Most importantly, we can use spiritual strength to manipulate the temperature inside the furnace."

"How do I develop my spiritual strength?" Rin asked excitedly.

Doctor Li chuckled, "Heh, don't get impatient. First, you have to learn the basics of pill refining!"

"Ah, right, of course..." Rin said with a slightly disappointed expression.

Doctor Li smiled knowingly. "Luckily for you, alchemy is one of the best methods to increase the strength of your soul. Combined with the Supreme Soul Tempering Art, I expect it will only be a few weeks before your spiritual strength begins to manifest itself."

"Really?" Rin was startled. This was the first time he had heard of alchemy benefitting the soul.

"Of course! Just like a real muscle, exhausting your spiritual strength will cause it to grow stronger after you recover. Alchemy is one of the most strenuous spiritual arts, so it is also one of the best for building spiritual strength," said Doctor Li.

[Doesn't this mean learning alchemy will also help me obtain new information on my cultivation technique?] Rin's eyes lit up as his excitement was immediately rekindled.

"Well then, what are we waiting for?" Rin asked impatiently.

Doctor Li taught Rin some simple medicinal formulas and basic techniques for controlling and directing his spiritual sense. Rin was a quick study, eagerly absorbing all the wisdom Doctor Chen Li bestowed upon him.