Chapter 13 - Helping Hand

[TPO #13] Vol 1: Ch 13 - Helping Hand

Rin was keenly aware that they didn't have much time. Even if his fight with the guards had gone unnoticed, they would still have to be relieved at some point, and Rin had no idea when that shift change might occur.

[Exiting through the main door is still too risky...] Rin hesitated, unsure where he should go next.

At that moment, Rin heard a small squeak and looked down to see the little golden mouse at his feet.

"Little mouse, you're okay! Well done!" Rin smiled. He was enormously grateful and relieved that the little fellow was unharmed. "I need your help with one last thing. We need to leave this place, and without being noticed."

The mouse squeaked and set off down the corridor. The three escapees followed close behind, avoiding guards in the same manner that they had before. Eventually, they arrived back at the cell block Rin had been held in. Here, the hallway split, with one path leading back to the main entryway.

As they passed by the entrance to the cell block, a faint voice called out, causing Rin to stop dead in his tracks.

"You there... young friend Rin Sai, wait a moment." The voice was raspy and hoarse as if it had been unused for a long time, but it sounded strangely familiar.

Rin slowly turned to face the direction where the voice had come from, peering down the dimly lit corridor. He asked cautiously, "Who's there?"

"Little fellow, over here..." The voice called out again, slightly louder.

Rin's eyes followed the direction of the noise to one of the first cells on the block. An old man was grasping the bars and staring fixedly at them. Rin couldn't help but take a sharp breath when he saw this figure.

"Ren Tao! What are you doing here?" Rin was shocked. The old man in the cell was none other than Ren Tao, one of the guards who had caused them to be in this mess in the first place.

Ren Tao smiled crookedly. "There's no time to explain. You have to take me with you. I promise I will make it worth your while."

"Take you with us?" Rin was momentarily speechless.

After a moment, his gaze became furious, and Rin stepped toward the cell, reaching through the bars and seizing the old man's collar. Ren Tao didn't resist, allowing himself to be dragged against the bars.

"After what you did to is, give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you right now!" Rin seethed through clenched teeth. His cold gaze bored into the old man's eyes.

"Ah well, you see..." Ren Tao looked defeated and dropped his gaze, laughing awkwardly.

Seeing Rin's furious expression, Ren Tao hurriedly continued, "You have to understand, I'm not a bad man. I'm not proud of what I did to you, but I had no choice! You don't know what a ruthless monster Reinalt is... If I tried to warn you or give you a chance to escape, he would have gutted me and left my corpse for the wolves!"

"Don't waste my time with your sob stories. You have ten breaths to convince me before I leave you to rot." Rin sneered coldly as he subtly tightened his grip on Ren Tao's collar.

"Ah! Wait, wait, I can definitely help you! You can't leave me here!" Ren Tao said hastily. "Even if you manage to escape, you'll be recaptured within a day or two. The streets aren't safe, and the mines and brothels are always in need of fresh meat. Beggars and street urchins don't last long around here.

"That vile Rio Fei also seemed to take a liking to the woman." Ren Tao nodded toward Nayla. "I have no doubt the garrison commander will be furious when he finds out she escaped. His resources run deep, and without my help, your chances are slim to none."