Chapter 10: Closets and Dresses

"My my Darian, you've outdone yourself," the leader giggled, as the three men came closer. Stepping out of the shadows, Sylvia narrowed her eyes. She had seen these men before.

"I don't have time for this," Darian grunted, attempting to push back. He was swiping his clothes downwards, trying to sweep the remaining muck from the sewer off. It wasn't working well.

"Did you.... Did you just come out of the sewer?!" Another man barked, letting out a hearty guaff. The two others joined in, cackling away. Darian's face grew red.

Sylvia had definately seen these three before, they had tormented Darian last time Sylvia had been in New Nortia. It appeared time had not made them any less aggrevating.

"And your band of merry misfits grows," the leader said, casting his gaze over the group. His eyes hesitated at Aliyah, taking in their seven feet cautiously with a brow raised.

"And who are you, the back street boys?" Dirella ridiculed, hands on her hips. She was not in the mood for petty squabbles. Not only were they on a time sensitive mission, but she was also in need of a bath.

"Finally, one of you has a spine!" One of the men laughed. Darian was growing increasingly furious, he stomped over towards the leader, staring down at him. Darian towered over the man, easily, and his broad shoulders and defined jawline were an intimidating appearance. The giant axe also helped too.

"I feel like I'm always running into you in an alley, looking for your next boyfriend in the trash are we?" Darian whispered, barely audible to anyone with natural hearing. For a wizard, a hunter, and an elf it was loud and clear, however.

The man gulped, stepping backwards. He jerked his head to the side, motioning for his minions to leave. He had a scowl on his face, and if looks could kill Darian would be dead where he stood.

"Wait till Zane hears you're back, he won't be happy to see you," the leader made his final remark, before turning tail and following the two others. As soon as he had left his field of vision, Darian sighed heavily. He let his body sag, shrinking back down.

"Don't mind them," Dirella said patting him on the back, "their clothes were so last year anyway."

"I know, I just... Don't know what they want," Darian said. He began to walk in the direction of his house, leading them out of the dank alleyway into the streets.

They were still in the outer ring, with the houses in shambles and rats darting about on the street. People rushed by, rushing around one another like a massive coordinated dance.

"Doesn't matter what they want, screw them!" Sylvia piped up. Darian had confided in her about his situation in New Nortia. Being gay meant he didn't fit in with the hunters and his family. But being a hunter meant he didn't fit in with the gay community. An awkward middle ground to be in.

"Where was that fire just minutes ago?" Darian turned to face Sylvia, his eyes narrowed to slits in frustration. Sylvia blanched for a moment, unsure of how to respond.

"Darian, I will happily follow you into battle against all odds. But don't expect me to trash talk," Sylvia retorted. Darian maintained composure for a split second, before bursting out into laughter. Sylvia truly did not have the gift of the gab, being alone for so long had left her communication skills in ruin. Anything non-monster related was not her forte.

Sylvia felt a gentle tug on her sleeve, and turned around to find Aliyah's slender hand there. She looked up, seeing the look of bewilderment on their face. Sylvia almost face palmed, here she was joking about while here Aliyah was in a completely new environment. Slowing her pace, Sylvia was soon walking side by side with them.

"Big, isn't it?" Sylvia said, gesturing to the city around them. Aliyah nodded slowly, eyes wide and taking every little detail in.

"Not as big as home," they replied. Sylvia snakes her hand into theirs, giving it a gentle squeeze of reassurance. Aliyah smiled back, but pulled their hood up a little higher nontheless.

"What was that back there?" They asked. The group was now passing from the outer to middle ring, where Darian lived. It wasn't a huge difference in wealth, but Sylvia remembered how much cleaner the middle ring was. And how much less it smelt.

"You know, politics of sorts," she over simplified. Aliyah looked more confused.

"Are all humans so mean?" They asked. As they were talking, two small children ran past the group. They were laughing, playing with a small toy dragon.

"Not all, just most," she replied glumly.

"Gregory was nice," Aliyah replied quickly, catching Sylvia off guard. She laughed in surprise.

"Yes, I suppose Gregory was quite nice."

"Here we are!" Darian interrupted, calling out from the front of the group. His hands were up in the air, motioning towards the building in front of them.

It was just as Sylvia had remembered it. A tall, skinny building stretching up four stories tall. Crammed in between two other buildings, with a small garden in the front. A steel fence outlined the tiny garden, and inside were many roses of assorted colours and sizes.

Darian opened the gate at the front. He was looking visibly stressed, the anxiety of seeing his family again was getting to him. He paused in the front of the gate.

"What's the hold up? Some of us would like a bath today!" Dirella scowled. Sylvia made her way to Darian, and placed a hand on his back.

"C'mon, we've fought vampires and werewolves, how scary can your family be?" She jested. He smiled down at her, the concern fading but not all gone.

"Very," he replied, however moved forward towards the door with Sylvia by his side. He lifted his hand, hesitating for a second, before knocking thrice. There was a commotion inside, with pots and pans clanging about before the door was ripped wide open.

"Darian my boy!" Darian's father chortled. He was a large man, with shoulders so broad he would most likely go through doorways sidewards. The large man cast his gaze towards Sylvia, whose hand was still on Darian's back. She lowered it, blushing under the scrutiny.

"And this must be Sylvia, your girlfriend!" He was almost yelling at this point, with the whole of New Nortia able to hear.

Sylvia and Darian paused at this, clearly shocked that the man had come to such a terribly wrong conclusion.

"No I-" Sylvia began, before being cut off by Darian.

"Yes! Yes indeed Dad, this is my girlfriend Sylvia."

A thousand apologies for the last chapter

A thousand apologies for the last chapter. Wattpad appears to be publishing my chapters, before removing them for having a technical glitch on the pictures I use as the cover art.

Hopefully I can resolve this, otherwise I'll have to publish every chapter twice!