Chapter Eight: Break Time

"Look what the cat dragged in." Joe chuckled as he wiped away all the little smudges off the wine glasses. "What gives? Thought you said you were sick with a nasty cold. Better not be trying to get me sick too, Kaoru."

"How many times do I have to tell you not to use that name?" Cherry replied, pinching the bridge of his nose as he took a seat at the empty bar. Sia La Luce had been closed now for maybe an hour, so the entire restaurant was vacant. All except for Joe, and well, now him too. "The sickness was merely a rouse."

"Tell that to Hoshiko then, she was worried." Joe explained plainly, a subtle smile creeping to his cheek as he uttered her name. "Tried to convince me to drop off some chicken noodle soup for you. Told her I'd have to poison it if I did."

"How kind of you." Cherry almost laughed, but bit back the feeling. "Figured I'd give you two the chance to speak privately. You do seem to talk about her quite a bit."

"Trying to be my wingman now, after all these years?" Joe couldn't help but laugh. "What's that all about?"

"I like her."

"Gonna try and steal her from me?"

"Not exactly." Cherry hummed, pressing his glasses closer to his face. "But if you manage to mess it up with her, I might have no other choice."

"Not funny, Kaoru."

"Wasn't trying to be, you dopey gorilla. Don't worry too much, she's not exactly my type anyway." Cherry began, tapping a finger quietly against the counter. "So, how did lunch go with me absent? Well, I hope."

"Afraid it wasn't as private as I hoped it would be." Joe confessed, setting another wine glass upside down with a clink. "Met that Snow kid."

"Snow who?"

"That's what they're calling the rookie who used the duct tape. I guess cause he's a snowboarder." Joe continued on. "He's one of Hoshiko's students."

"Snow.. He might just be the reason Adam's making a comeback."

"It's probably been awhile since he's felt inspired by anyone." Joe sighed, crossing his arms against his chest. "Who could've guessed this kid would be the one."

"All the more reason to challenge him to a match."

"I will, too."

"Copycat."

"I'm not copying!"

"So what all did you tell Hoshiko?" Cherry began, an annoyed look remaining on his face. "What did you tell her about Adam?"

"Kept the details to a minimum for now. Didn't feel up to spilling everything." Joe confessed while scratching the back of his head. "Told her we went to High School together, and that he helped start S. Also told her he's quite the aggressive skater, and to keep her distance."

"That's all fine and well at least." Cherry breathed out, relaxing in his seat. "Anything else I should be aware of."

"That Snow kid, he knows."

"Knows what?"

"He knows about Hoshiko." Joe mumbled out the words, embarrassed to even be saying them knowing full well it was his own fault. "His friend too, the redhead. Langa and Reki - those were their real names, her students. They both know who she is."

"You've got to be kidding me." Cherry huffed, slamming a hand onto the counter in front of him. "What kind of bafoon let a secret like that spill?"

"Cut me some slack, it was an accident!"

"I should've known it was you, you dopey gorilla!"

_____________________________________________________