Chapter 20: For You

With a loud thwacking sound, a giant red 'X' was slashed overtop the photo of Shadow's face on the monitor. A fusion of cheers and boo's filled the empty air, clearly the crowd had differing opinions on the outcome of that race. Already so riled up, and it was only the first bracket. There was no telling how much further this would have escalated by the end. All Star knew was that she had to make it there, she had to make it the final round. Kick Adam on his ass, and reclaim some sort of sense of safety. Both for the community, and for herself.
       Live footage began to play on every screen of Star crossing the finish line. Bubbly and bold text overlapping every tape, congratulating the girl on her victory. Adam raised a brow at the site, growing intrigued with the fact she had been fairing well so far. With two hands held up to the sky, Adam shared one more sadistic smile with the crowd.

"Poor Shadow." He feigned sadness in his words. "Doomed to the dark for forever."

        If a tomato had been readily available, Star would've thrown ten of those suckers by now. Figuring Shadow would've showed no restraint, and opted to join her in her endeavors.. But sadly, no fresh produce was lying out in the open, ready to be thrown at one messed up Matador. Perhaps it was the greatest tragedy of them all.

        Still. Shadow hardly reacted to Adam's words, no matter how much the navy haired man tried to dig at him for coming up short, it just didn't seem to affect him. He'd really been starting to grow some thick skin. Star was proud and a little envious, if she were honest. Especially when it came to Adam, she was never sure how to react. Feelings just happened, and they were always bad.

"Don't freight my babies, the Tournament has only just begun." Adam continued on, hushing the crowd. "Our shining Star advances!"

        Eyes all shifted toward the woman as Adam pointed a finger directly toward her, licking at his lips as he stared. He was the human embodiment of foreboding. Always creeping up so unexpectedly, but leaving her shaken up all the same. Despite the crowd's warm congratulations, she felt anything but excited. The more Adam had tried to point her out in a crowd, the more he watched her, the more underprepared she felt. Something bad was coming. She could feel it in her bones.

"Looks like Star is the first one moving up."

"Say that like you're surprised." Cherry retorted, crossing his arms against his chest. "Are you?"

"Of course I'm not." Joe rolled his eyes. "You already know I didn't say all that dumb stuff because I actually believe it. Just.. Want her safe."

"Didn't try to stop Langa or Miya, and those two are actual children." He replied. "What makes her so different then? Cause she's a girl?"

"You know that's not why." Joe huffed. "She's just.. something else, you know?"

"Something else." Cherry chuckled. "Well your 'something else' is on her way over here now."

"Crap. It's probably about.." He swallowed the lump in his throat, noticing her white hair growing closer. "Have you seen Reki tonight?"

"Not at all."

"Great. Cool. Cool." Joe repeated reassurances, despite the sarcastic tone in his voice. "She's totally gonna blame me for him not showing, but it's cool. Everything's fine."

"If you say so."

"Onto the next Beef.. Who shall be the happy couple?"

"That guy ever say anything that isn't creepy?" Star mumbled quietly, rolling her eyes as she took her inbetween the two men. "Joe."

Even just hearing her mention his name had goosebumps jumping from his skin.