Chapter 18: Time For War

"Today's the day."

     When forest fires are on the horizon, there will be some too blinded by the beauty of the sunset to notice their flames; mistaking disasters for masterpieces. Too distracted by disguises to understand what sort of danger is incoming. Hoshiko wanted to warn them. Wanted to drag her friend's far away from the scene, so those same hands they'd trusted her with would remain safe. Out of reach from the things that wanted to hurt them most.

But maybe Adam was more like a missile.

     With a direct target that he was locked onto; he would barrel through everything and everyone who managed to stand in his way. It didn't matter who ended up in the crossfire, as long as he managed to strike where he initially intended. It was all too clear what he had his sights set on; a certain pastel blue haired boy that Hoshiko had grown much too protective of.

So if Adam were a missile, she would be a shield.

     The tiniest push against Hoshiko's ankle caused her to glance down; Her cat Luna had been tangling herself between her feet, wrapping her tail around Hoshiko's pant legs - like Luna didn't want her to go. Trying desperately to stop her owner from leaving. A despondent sigh escaped Hoshiko's lips as she leaned down to the kitten.

"How I wish I could stay in with you tonight, little one." She smiled weakly, booping the tip of the kitties nose before returning to her feet. "But there's people I need to be with right now, because.." Hoshiko huffed, forcing herself out the door. "Friends stick together. They've got my back, so I've got theirs."

And it was time for war.

"White Eden.." Star muttered beneath her breath, eyes scanning over the monitor. "Wedding beef?"

"Adam's always been unconventional." Shadow shrugged. "Not gonna start questioning him now."

     Even if he had a point, Star couldn't help but shiver as she read the screen. A dim lit monitor had displayed the tournament's official bracket; bringing about the beginning of Adam's reign of terror. Her friend's name were on there - written like a contract with no expiration. They'd willingly signed, despite not fully understanding what all it would entail. Star cursed that dumb dotted line, wishing she could've etched it out before they'd ever had the chance to see it.
     A part of her was thankful, because not all of her friends name were up on that screen. Everyone except for Reki had filled out the form. So even though she had begun to worry for her students absence, she was grateful he at least wasn't here to see this. It was hard enough discreetly watching over Langa - who had become the apple of Adam's eye ever since his first appearance - so the fact that Reki was at least home safe and sound had brought her some sort of relief.

"What's this?" Joe whistled, lightly shoving into Star with a quiet laugh. "Thought the Tournament was too good for ya?"

"What are you talking about?"