Chapter Twelve: Vacation

"Are you sure they'd be okay with me coming along with you?" Hoshiko spoke into the phone, pressing it snug between her shoulder and ear as she helped clean up another disaster of a science fair project.

"Absolutely, they're the ones who offered me the plus one." Cherry's voice responded from the other line. "It'll be like a little weekend getaway. Even while I'm attending to business, there's tons of stuff you could go do there. Including a supposed wonderful hot springs."

"It's certainly tempting, don't get me wrong." She giggled, throwing the reminiscent of said project into the trash. Noticing that she'd definitely stained one of her nice button ups in the process. How convenient. "..You said it's just for the weekend, right? I'd be back by Sunday night?"

"Mhm." He hummed. "Wouldn't have to use any vacation time or sick leave for work."

Those seeming like more than enough excuses to tag along with Cherry on his little business venture. She might not have been totally sure what all he had to accomplish while there, but he had promised he wouldn't be busy the whole time - and the two of them could see some of the cute little shops in the area, maybe visit that supposed hot spring and just spend the majority of their time relaxing. A well deserved break for the both of them, they figured.
So this morning they boarded the ferry from Okinawa to Miyakojima. Ocean breeze tangled it's way through Hoshiko's hair, she had spent most of her time leaning against a near by guard rail, letting her attention drift into the sea below. Periodically checking in with her friend who had been hiding away in the shade of the ship. He mentioned his skin always seemed to burn easily, so he preferred to stay away from the sun's rays as long as he could. It was understandable, and she would've spent all of her time with him in the shade, frankly she wouldn't have minded it too much. A minuscule sacrifice to make, but he was insistent she do whatever made her heart content. So, every so often she'd return to this spot on the side of the ferry, allowing her limbs to hang off the side while they sailed through the ocean.
After abandoning S so quickly when the cops arrived, Cherry felt a tinge of guilt. He knew Hoshiko was an adult, one perfectly capable of getting herself out of situation like that - but he couldn't help but feel bad that he was so quick to leave her behind, despite that. Truly relieved to hear she'd made it home okay, Joe was actually the one to tell him in the first place. Sarcastically thanking the pink haired man for waiting up for them. Joe made sure Cherry was aware that he was the one who saved her tail, but he hadn't seemed too happy to be saying it. Which lead Cherry to believe that something must've happened that he wasn't yet aware of. He had already wanted to bring Hoshiko on this short trip with him, seeing as he genuinely enjoyed her company and considered her a good friend. But he also wouldn't deny, he was hoping to see Hoshiko's side of things. Maybe understand why she seemed to look on the water with such sad eyes, and why Joe had been more irritable than normal.

"It's time to wake up! Ten minutes until arrival."

"Thank you, Carla." Cherry mumbled out to his wristwatch, and Hoshiko soon joined his side upon hearing her tone echo through the air.

"Wait. I know that voice." An all too familiar gruff voice spoke up, causing Hoshiko to freeze in her tracks. Slowly, she looked up and there he was; Joe was seriously here, of all places, right now. "Ah great! What the hell are you doing here?"

He was talking to Cherry in that disappointed tone, hadn't yet noticed the white haired woman standing still behind him. She almost convinced herself that like a dinosaur, if she didn't move a muscle, he couldn't see her.

"I could ask you the same, damn jiggalo." Cherry retorted. The fact the man himself was here right now really put a damper on things. "I'm here on business, what about you?"