Chapter 19: Foreshadow

Another night spent practicing within the walls of "S," and yet Star felt so underprepared for the storm that was coming. Currently she was on a little break, Miya and Shadow joining her for a breather, each of them chugging down a bottle of water. This Tournament was no joke. Everyone had something to prove, or something to gain. Star knew she didn't have to win, just that she had to beat Langa. Knock his name off the roster for good. Make sure Adam couldn't lay one single finger on him. But as the Snow boy in question skyrocketed into the air, flinging himself higher and higher off of the half pipe - well, it was starting to feel like that possibility, like him, was becoming further and further out of reach.

"Wow. Reki.. still isn't showing up." Miya sighed, disappointment in his words. "I'm going to go check on him, and make sure he's doing okay."

"Knock it off!" Shadow groaned.

"I have a feeling something happened between him and Langa!"

"I know something happened." Star exhaled, pulling her legs closer into her chest, back pressed against the stone behind them. "Haven't been able to figure out what it is though. Reki leaves class before Langa can even say a word. Keeps running out on me too."

"Can't you just--Give him detention or something?" Miya stammered. "That way he'd have to talk to you!"

"It'd be a real abuse of my power to hold a student after school hours just because he doesn't want to talk about his feelings." She explained. "Langa hardly speaks anymore too. Reki had him slowly coming out of that shell, and now.. He's locked back up in it again."

"If this is the case, then they need to put on their big boy pants!"

"Shadow."

"Their big kid pants," He corrected. "and make up already!"

"I agree with you." Miya breathed. "But.."

"Also." Shadow continued. "I've got my life on the line here. They better not wreck it."

"Huh?"

"I'll win." His eyes narrowed. "I swear."

Something to prove.
      Something to gain.
              Something to do.

"That so?" Star mused, hopping up from her seat on the ground, dusting off her clothes before grabbing her deck. "In that case, I better get back to practicing."

"Gonna need it."

"I know." She laughed. "But Shadow, I'll have you know - I don't plan on losing either." Her face suddenly grew serious. "You're not the only one with their life on the line, so try not to be too surprised when I win."

        If handing the redhead a tiny pink slip for seemingly nothing was an abuse of her power, then that just meant she had to find other ways to reach out to the young boy

        If handing the redhead a tiny pink slip for seemingly nothing was an abuse of her power, then that just meant she had to find other ways to reach out to the young boy. She hadn't wanted to corner him or anything, but he needed to talk to someone. If Reki and Langa were to continue down this path of a shared silent treatment - frankly, Hoshiko didn't even want to think of that possibility. The rest of their High School career would be far more quiet than she ever imagined. As much as she used to crave a quiet classroom, all students with their heads forward - it wasn't at all how she pictured it. She didn't like it near as much as she thought she would.