Chapter 16: Unwanted Visitor

"Reki?"

That voice felt so distant as it called his name. Like someone was standing on the other end of a tunnel, calling for him, trying whatever they could to gain his attention. But the further the noise echoed, the quieter it became. So by the time it reached him, it felt so quiet. So dull. So hushed. He'd started to wonder if it was ever really there at all.

"Reki? Hey, are you listening?"

Children's laughter ensued after. One minute Reki thought he was sitting in his bedroom alone, rewatching videos he captured of his new friend practicing skateboarding. When Langa was still pretty bad at it - stumbling and falling repeatedly, all the while wearing that effervescent smile. Reki would laugh. Lean back in his seat, and offer whatever advice he could muster up at the time. Back then, it felt so easy. Exciting still. In the next minute, that chair was pulled out from under him. His bedroom walls suddenly turned into a whiteboard, and his phone screen into a hand. Snapping it's fingers, knocking him back to reality.

He was at school.

That's right.

That laughter he had heard was from his classmates. No doubt teasing the poor redhead for zoning out in the middle of class and getting caught. That voice that once felt so distant was suddenly so loud; standing right in front of him. Ms. Saito wore a weak smile, concern hidden within her pale blue-grey eyes. He hadn't wanted her pity. If he had the energy, he would've been mad about it.

"Reki." Her voice continued, noticing the boy had finally returned to Earth. "I'd like to speak with you after class. So don't rush off like you usually do, okay?"

He nodded his head.

Then promptly smushed his face back into his arms, allowing his forehead to press against the cool black laminate tabletop. He could hear Langa whispering into his ear. Poor boy had been stuck out of the loop, unsure why his friend had been so uncharacteristically quiet. Yet - a part of him had started to convince himself perhaps it was his fault. Though he wasn't sure why. Just based off the way Reki had been avoiding him, forgetting him, ignoring him - something was up. It appeared their teacher had noticed too. Langa was thankful for that, made him feel a little less crazy to see another person addressing it.
When something important is supposed to happen, time moves slower. That's how it felt at least. Reki didn't mind it. Truthfully, he'd been dreading the thought of being confronted on his recent behavior. Somehow already knowing "I'm tired" wouldn't suffice as a answer. Not to a teacher like Ms. Saito. Not for Langa either.
On the other hand, the clocks inability to speed up was painstaking for Ms. Saito. Considering the events that played out the other night at "S," she'd had an idea of what might've been plaguing the young red head's mind. As much as she wanted to talk with him, she wasn't sure how to.

When that final bell did ring, kids raced out the door as they normally did. Excited grins planted on their faces, ready to rush home for the weekend. Though, their smiles did seem to falter at the subtle reminder from their teacher that she'd be checking up on the progress of their science fair projects come Monday afternoon. A crushing blow to those who still hadn't yet started.

"I put the 'pro' in procrastination."

That was their excuse.

A part of her had hoped that was more than talk, especially at the rate they were going.

"Langa, I'm afraid I'm going to ask you to leave the room for now." Ms. Saito's voice was soft, somehow reassuring. Reki was sure if he ever had to receive bad news, he'd want to hear it come from someone like her. Someone who always sounded so sure and calm, even in the harshest of moments. "Could you wait in the hallway for Reki today, perhaps?"