Chapter 24: Sunset

The sunset left a soft peach glow over the town. For such a daunting situation, the weather was surprisingly serene. That's how the world worked though, now wasn't it? Clear skies on the days that feel like they should be drenched in rain, but maybe Mother Nature did that on purpose. Nothing but the purest of intentions. Sunsets were endings, and despite this, they were still beautiful. Hoshiko tried to remind herself of that while her knuckles turned white against the steering wheel. Shokichi insisted on driving, but she didn't even give his hand the chance to touch the door handle. Considering the way Reki's head snapped left and right, cowering with every passing car, she began to realize that perhaps she should've given her friend the benefit of the doubt.

It was too late now though, the hospital was coming in to view, and it was time to face the music.

And despite Reki's anxiety festering in the backseat, or Shokichi's constant checking in, they'd all survived the ride.

"Come on!" Reki egged on. Ripping the seatbelt off of himself and stumbling out of the car, skateboard still in his hand. Shokichi would've lied if he had said it didn't make him smile a bit. That the redhead had out of reflex reached for the deck.

"Kojiro texted me the room number." Hoshiko announced, holding her cellphone up to read. "First elevator on our left, and h-hey, be careful!"

     Always seemingly three steps ahead, Shokichi swiftly swung in and scooped Reki up from under the boy's shoulder. In the process of trying to scramble to the front doors, the redhead had tripped over his own feet. His face would've probably soon met concrete if Shokichi hadn't stepped in, but while the boy was grateful, he couldn't let such a stupid little thing slow him down. As quickly as he was back on his feet, he was running. Until.. Shokichi gripped onto his bicep, holding him back.

"Oka! Let me go!" Reki demanded, thrashing his arm around, trying to break free from the hold.

"Listen, listen. Both of you!" The man called out, earning both of their attention. "Stumbling your way into the emergency room in a frenzy isn't going to help anybody. It won't help you, it won't help Joe, it certainly won't help Cherry or Shadow."

He was right.

Dammit, he was right, and Hoshiko hated when he was.

     The question was more of "how?" She didn't blame any of her friends for not knowing what was happening behind closed doors, but the anxiety that Adam was watching her every step lingered in her chest like a disease. Growing in her lungs until it eventually inhabited in her every thought and limb. Some faux Matador-loving weirdo was at her backdoor, knocking louder than any god damn thunderstorm, and about to leave behind an even worse disaster.

"I'm not letting either of you leave without a quick breather. This is.. a lot, I know." He sighed, scratching nervously at the back of his head. "There is nothing I can say or do to make this all better. It's a shitty situation, but you have to look on the bright side, even when it's hard. Cherry is okay, and Shadow is going to be soon too."

     Shokichi was the calm in the middle of their storm, offering words of encouragement and love in a time they were filled with anxiety and urgency.

"I'll meet you both up there. Give you two the chance to catch up, calm down, get settled." He pressed a comforting smile to his face. "I'll stop by the giftshop here. Maybe bring some new flowers up when I'm done."

"A-Alright.." Reki hung his head, desperately trying to hide his face beneath his hair and his bandana.

"Thanks, Shokichi." Hoshiko nodded, pressing a gentle hand to Reki's shoulder and leading him forward. "We'll see you soon."