Chapter Nine: Uphill Battle

Chants and cheers quickly overcame the crowd upon the arrival of their notorious leader; "Adam." His name called out in hope-filled repetition somehow managed to make her skin crawl. He might've been one of the founders of this safe haven, but that didn't mean he deserved to be treated like a God. Sadistic smirk present on his face as he casually strolled through the parting people on his long board, he only waved to their adoring faces in an attempt to amuse them. Get them as excited as he had felt for what was yet to come. Star wanted nothing more than to bite her own tongue off at the site of his navy blue locks that poked their way above the crowd, and the spotlight that seemed to follow his every step only added to the dramatics. As if the whole Matador get-up wasn't already over the top. He was sickening to look at, she found it difficult to describe. She knew it wasn't the clothes or the almost theatrical presence he carried. But every time she noticed that off putting grin of his, she wanted to throw up.
Thankfully, a pallet cleanser wasn't far behind. Star's stomach began to clear of it's nausea as the crowd turned their attention to someone else; Cherry and Joe both steadily approaching from the shadows, almost on cue. Just by looking at them, she could tell they had some sort of trick up their sleeve - but she would admit, she wasn't quite sure what it was yet. Nevertheless, they were a site for sore eyes. A breath of fresh air in comparison to the dumpster fire that was Adam. Circling around like sharks in a tank, the two men skidded to an abrupt halt. Eyes narrowing toward the navy haired man who's sinister smile only seemed to upturn further upon the site of them.

"Hello again, Adam." Cherry's voice called through the cool air, words carried away with the wind. "Been awhile."

"We thought you might like a two-for-one race tonight." Joe pursed, hiding a clenched fist within the sleeve of his jacket. "What do ya think?"

"Would you like to know what we'll be betting on?"

"That's a silly question." Adam replied, his tone feigning giddiness in return for the sudden bombardment from the two men. A challenge, at a time so precious to him - it was appalling, but that was a minor detail in the grand scheme of things. "Aww. You want to skate together against me and the little Red Rocket?"

"Don't you dare!" Reki's voice came in like an avalanche; quick and lethal. "This race is between me and you alone. Quit tryna run!"

"You said run?" Adam retorted, his skateboard pressed to Reki's neck faster than anyone could register his movement's. The red head instinctively gulped, his own face betraying him as all confidence drained from his body. "To me?"

As Reki clenched his jaw and shoved the longboard away from his face, Star couldn't help but feel a sense of pride wash over her. It had even reminded her of exactly why the boy had gotten himself into this mess in the first place; to stand up for someone. There wasn't room for superiority complexes or fighting in skating. It appeared Reki really had quite the moral compass, and as his teacher, Star was prone to feel a sense of accomplishment for teaching a student who exhibited such strengths.

So why on God's green Earth did he almost just as often have to get himself into stupid situations?

She knew he wasn't an idiot, but sometimes he sure acted like one.

What a headache.

"What's on your mind?" A familiar gruff tone poked her awake from her thoughts; at this point, there was no hesitation in who's voice belonged to who. "Look really deep in thought."

She wasn't sure how to explain the simultaneous pride and disappointment she felt in being a high school teacher, so she opted for the ladder.

"Nervous about the match, is all." The linger in her voice was indication enough that that certainly wasn't everything, but Joe decided not to pursue it further. Figuring it was probably in his best interest not to prod and push, and well, he guessed correctly. "You said this guy shows no mercy. Think he might've changed his ways?"