11 • Triple Date

Millie Mae practically skipped her way into work, narrowly missing one of the buss boys who was carrying a tower of plates. Mr Bianchi attempted to scowl at the girl, but felt his frown falter and turn into a smile at the mere sight of the girl, happy and full of life.

Spring was well and truly in the air, and apart from the occasional sniffle or sneeze from Steve, the pair agreed that it was high time winter kicked the bucket for yet another year, and what better way to celebrate than to attend the opening night of the spring carnival.

Originally, Steve had asked Millie on a date to the festival, but when a thought-to-be sleeping Bucky, who crashed on Steve's couch, stirred and heard of the plans, he frowned and put up a fight, arguing that it was their thing, and they'd done it together every year since they were young with Steve's mother.

Thankfully, a compromise was made, and they settled on a double date, Steve and Millie, and Bucky and Dot. That, of course, didn't last long when Millie thought of Sylvia, and how she'd mentioned at nursing school she'd wanted to go but had no one to go with. With the boys' permission, Millie rang Sylvia up, waking her from her 'beauty sleep', as she called it, and invited her out with them. Sylvia reluctantly agreed on one condition– Millie was to find Sylvia a date.

"Oh, Marco!" Millie sang out into the kitchen, hanging her cardigan on the hook.

"Oh, Mildred." Marco groaned back sarcastically, using her full name which was odd to say the least.

"What's the matter with you?" Millie asked.

"Nothing."

"He's been in a sour mood all morning!" Mr Bianchi coughed out. "Something must've crawled up his ass and died."

Marco shot daggers at his uncle who just chuckled and Millie fought to hold back her giggles. "Come on, Marco. You can tell me."

Marco rolled his eyes but Millie watched his shoulders relax. "I was supposed to go out tonight, but the plan fell through. They canceled."

"Oh," Millie frowned. "That's no good, I'm so sorry Marco."

"It doesn't matter anyway." He huffed.

Millie stepped closer, allowing her voice to change into a whisper. "Was this plan a date, by any chance?"

"I'm...not sure."

"Well hey, her loss."

"Yeah," Marco muttered. "Her loss."

"Well look, I got just the thing to cheer you up."

"And what's that?"

"You can come out with me and my friends tonight, I even got a friend who I'm sure would love to meet you! It can be a triple date." Millie smiled.

Marco looked deep in thought, and multiple emotions crossed his face in a matter of moments, but eventually he nodded. "Okay, when?"

"After work!" Millie smiled widely, looking as if she was internally cheering. "We're all meeting at Steve's beforehand, around five?"

"Okay, sounds good." Marco smiled, but it appeared forced. Millie tried to ignore it.

"Let me give you Steve's address."

~

"You invited Marco?" Steve grumbled while Millie straightened his tie.

"Oh don't you start, Steven." Millie chuckled and swatted his chest. "You aren't jealous again, are you?"

"Me? Jealous?" Steve widened his eyes. "Never."

"Mhm, sure Stevie."

"I just don't understand why you invited him."