37 • Readjusting

A/N: SURPRISE! I'm literally so sick and waiting to get a PCR done tomorrow. I've finished all my assessments early because I had yesterday off and now I have nothing to do (so much for big uni week 🙄) anyway, here's a chapter 💜

Millie clutched her cardboard cup of coffee as Steve drove Tony's Audi through the streets of New York City, ready for an early morning start on Monday morning.

She spent the majority of Sunday asleep, lounging in Steve's arms, which wasn't a complaint of either of them. The crisp autumn air, still fresh with dew, kept them rugged up all day, much to Bucky's jealousy.

"So," Millie started, sipping her coffee. "What do you guys think you'll be doing all day?"

Steve shrugged. "Honestly, you never know. I could be training or I could be doing paperwork."

Bucky stretched in the back seat. "Probably both, but I bet there is a lot of paperwork for him today, since he's got to file everything about you."

"Hm?" Millie looked back at Bucky in confusion.

"SHIELD can be very particular, even though you're a human, you're still seen as part of the mission."

Millie nodded curtly. "I guess that makes sense."

Steve's hand came across to her thighs and gently squeezed. She was still wearing the grey sweats that SHIELD gave her, which she felt were dreadfully unflattering, but Steve didn't mind. In fact, he made it a point to tell her how beautiful she was at any moment.

"I wonder what I'll be doing..." Millie muttered half to herself and half to the others.

"Honestly, baby, whatever you want. I know you want to be useful, but don't push yourself. I only hope you can keep busy while I'm working, I don't want you to be bored."

Millie smiled and placed her hand on top of Steve's. "Worst comes to worst, I'll just find and pester Bucky."

"Hey!" Bucky cried. "What if I'm busy?"

Millie turned around with a sly smirk. "Well, that sucks for you now, doesn't it?"

Steve laughed as Bucky rolled his eyes and grumbled into his morning coffee. The view of Stark tower came into view and Millie gazed up at it with wonderous eyes.

"You guys lived her?"

"Yep," Bucky popped the 'p'. "Sometimes I wonder why we left..."

Steve groaned as he pulled past security into the underground garage. "Privacy, Buck. We moved out for privacy."

"Hm, yeah, the privacy is nice. But honestly, I miss the free food."

"We can more than afford our own food, pal."

"Yeah, but we don't have anyone to cook it for us." He frowned. "And believe it or not, I didn't exactly have many cooking lessons while being used as a killing machine. Wasn't any room in my schedule between that and being frozen."

Millie turned around with a soft smile. "I can cook for you guys."

"No–" Steve started.

"You know," Bucky cut in and squinted. "The lazy part of me is saying 'hell yeah' but the modern man I'm trying to become is telling me this is a test."

Millie laughed her beautiful melodic laugh and shook her head. "It's not a test, I used to cook for you guys all the time! I'd like to, when I'm around of course."

"You sure that's not a little, I don't know, sexist?" Bucky asked.

"It's only sexist if you think I belong in the kitchen."