24 • Dear Steve

Dear Steve,

I'm so sorry I haven't been able to write to you, this is the first time they've actually given us pens and paper.

This last month has been... hard. It's nice having Sylvia by my side, but I can tell the pressure is getting to her. Sometimes she snaps at me, or simply wakes up in a mood. It's difficult for me to not snap back, but I have to remind myself that we are all going through a tough time right now, so I let it go.

How is everyone back home? And how are you? I hope you're not getting into any trouble. I miss you so much, Stevie. I wish I never came to this place, and if I could take it all back, I would in a heartbeat. I miss waking up next to you in the morning and drinking watery coffee, or lounging in bed when we're too lazy to move.

Tomorrow we're being shipped off, Sylvia and I will be stationed together in...actually I'm not sure if I can tell you that yet. I suppose all I can say is I'll be away from any major cities, so I hope I'll be safe.

It's getting late and I need to get this sent to you, so I'll say goodbye. Now that I have some paper, I can write to you plenty more.

I love you, Stevie.

I hope to see you soon, don't forget about me.

– Millie Mae Elliot

~

Millie placed her sealed letter in the 'mail out' bag, and patted down her night clothes. Sylvia was already in bed, reading her book by oil-lamp. The electricity around their training camp was was scarce, strange for the 1940s.

"Ready for England?" Sylvia asked.

Millie yawned and stretched before pulling back her covers and slipping into bed. "I suppose I have to be. I wish I could tell Steve where we were going."

"I'm sure you will be able to once we're there, just don't give any specifics away."

"That's fair." Millie nestled down on her springy mattress, which would soon belong to someone else, a new nurse in tracing who would take her place. "Hey Sylvia?"

"Mm?"

"How long do you think we will be gone for?"

Sylvia closed her book and sighed sadly. "I really don't know, Mills. Sometimes it feels like an eternity."

The word rung in Millie's ears, over and over again. And as Sylvia turned down the lamp, and the room was overcome with darkness, Millie couldn't help but stare into nothingness as an icy chill shot down her body.

Eternity.

A/N:

short little filler, like...very short. I'm sorry :(

Love you all!

-Lonah Lennox