13 • Muse

A/N: please ensure you read the authors note at the end of this chapter besties ♡︎♡︎♡︎

Millie flung the window of Steve's bedroom open and took hold of the clothesline that strung between his building and the neighbouring one. The weather kept getting nicer and Millie didn't see the point in wasting money at a laundromat when Steve had a perfectly good sink and the air would be quick to dry their clothes.

She pinned various garments across the line, finishing with her nurses uniform. It was rare for Millie to have an entire day off these days, but Mr Bianchi had told her that Luigi's was shut because Marco had come down with something awful, though when she questioned it, Mr Bianchi brushed her off and hung up.

Since the majority of her clothes were dirty or at her parents house, Millie was walking around in nothing but a pair of socks, Steve's boxers and a bra. Spring had brought slightly warmer weather, but the open window brought a chill to her despite the time of year and once Millie was done with the laundry, she wrapped herself in one of Steve's blankets.

Millie made her way into the living room to lounge on Steve's sofa, playing one of his records softly while she rested. It wasn't long before the front door swung open and Millie heard Steve clambering inside.

"Stevie?" Millie called out.

Steve huffed. "Yeah?"

"You okay?" Millie got up walked to the front hallway where Steve was attempting to carry groceries, a brand new sketch book, and various boxes of art supplies all at once.

"I...got it-" his words were cut off by him tripping on the bunched up hallway rug, sending everything flying. "Shit. No I don't."

Millie giggled and let the blanket from her shoulders drop to the floor, exposing herself in the few pieces of clothing she was wearing as she chased after a few runaway apples.

"These will bruise now," Millie huffed. "I could turn them into a pie, I guess."

"I'm sorry Mills." Steve awkwardly scratched the back of his neck.

Millie finished scooping the rest of the apples into her arms and set them back down in Steve's shopping bag. "Don't be sorry, Stevie. Accidents happen."

When Millie finally came to, she reached down to pick up the blanket but found it was already in Steve's outstretched hand. "You look comfortable." Steve smiled. "Are those my boxers?"

"Maybe..." Millie took the blanket from his hand and wrapped it around herself, the straps of her bra falling down around her arms to expose her shoulders. "You know it's laundry day, and they're comfortable!"

Steve held Millie in his arms and placed a kiss on her forehead. "What's mine is yours, sweetheart."

Millie couldn't believe how lucky she'd got with Steve, he was everything she'd wanted in a man and more. On the one hand, it broke her heart that no one else saw just how wonderful he was, apart from maybe Bucky, on the other, she was selfishly glad to have him all to herself.

Millie watched as Steve piled together his new art supplies and followed Millie who took the paper bags to the kitchen. "What did you get, Stevie?"

"A new book, some pencils, and I thought I'd try working with charcoal." Steve had saved money for the last couple of weeks to get himself some new supplies, and the day had finally come where got to treat himself.

He kept various notes and coins in a glass jar inside the cupboard on top of the stove, and unbeknownst to him, Millie had discovered it. She secretly put some money in, knowing he wouldn't take it if she'd offered, and she only put enough in so that he wouldn't realise. Steve so often went without in life, and Millie wanted to help in any way she could.