Chapter Seven

"It's a TemPad."

"Am I supposed to know what that is?"

My father rubbed in face in complete exasperation. I could tell by his clenched jaw that he was desperately trying to contain his temper. But I was certainly pushing him.

"Do remember when I first came here, I told you about the TVA?" he asked. I nodded before he continued, "Good. Well, that device, the Tempad, is used by the TVA. It's what allows those scoundrels to navigate time, to jump from place to place."

I took it all in, hanging onto every word as I was finally receiving the answers I was looking for. I couldn't help but feel silly for not putting the pieces together myself. I had seen the TVA's logo on the back of that tablet and had been absolutely clueless as to what it meant. I always forgot that this...Loki wasn't my true father, but a variant of him. (At least that's how he had explained it all those years ago). It had never crossed my mind that the TemPad could be a relic from his adventures through time. In my head, the man before me was simply my father-not a time traveling adventurer. Yet, nevertheless, a question remained.

Why did he even have the TemPad? My head reeled with possibilities to explain this. Was he looking to run away, to leave me and his responsibilities here? Was he looking to go back to a time where he could rule Asgard? Was I going to be orphaned? I ran through every possible reason but couldn't land on one concrete explanation. All this did was cause anxiety to bubble up within me as my overthinking ran rampant.

"Why do you even have it?" I asked, almost scared to hear the answer.

Any reason I could dream up to explain why only left me feeling more anxious than ever.

"You must know?" he asked begrudgingly as he gently massaged him temples.

"Please?" I begged. I needed to know what all of it was for. I could hardly wait to hear his response. Was he scheming against Thor? Was he running away? I hadn't a clue why my father had been so obsessed with it all but the pit in my stomach knew it wasn't good. Whatever he was about to admit was a secret for a reason.

"I..." he sighed, staying quiet for a moment as he thought of how to explain himself.

"I'm trying to...find a way to..." he stammered, leaning forward and resting his elbows on the table. He looked as though he was about to give me a sales pitch.

"Papa," I groaned, dying of anxious anticipation.

"Alright, alright," he said, "To put it simply, I'm trying to find away to...change the course of time without putting the TVA in an uproar. I can't simply go and meddle with the past however I please, I have to do it silently...under the radar of you will."

"What would you even change?" I asked hesitantly.

"That's the issue," he sighed, "Because there's a lot I would like to change, a lot I could change. But, whatever I decide to alter in the past must be chosen methodically."

"You didn't answer my question," I argued, "What are you so desperate to change here? What's missing from our life here? What-"

And then it hit me. He hardly needed to speak before I knew what he was working so hard to change.

"Your mother, Hela," he interjected, his voice pained but strong, "That's what's missing."

"I-" I attempted, wishing I could swallow up all that I had said.

"I know," he sighed, slumping back into his chair, "Don't tell me because I already know. No your mother wouldn't want it. What's dead should remain dead, I get it. But if the universe can make an exception for me, it has to make an exception for her. It just has to."

I was quiet. I didn't have anything to say. I could hardly believe myself. I should've guessed that he was looking for a way to bring back mom. His grief was without bounds, I should have known he wouldn't just quit. My father would do anything to bring her back.

But as I thought of all this, I thought up an opportunity as well. There was a way that both of us could benefit here. He wanted his wife back but I wanted Asgard back.

Suddenly, there was a solution to all my problems. The TemPad. That little device could solve all of my problems, grant all of my wishes. With a methodical click of a button, my day dreams could become reality. No longer would I have to long for the Asgard of my childhood, if I just reworked the past, even just a little bit, I would have it back. The power, the sunny days, the throne I would inherit, my family, my friends, all of it could come back.

"You're not helping me," My father said, knocking me back to reality and out of my daydream.

"What? Why?" I asked. I could feel my heart begin to beat out of my chest. No, no, no, I thought to myself, please, I have to try.

"I'm not going to risk losing you too, Hela," he explained firmly, "You mean more than anything in the world to me. Even if I had your mother with me today, if I lost you...I...I can't even think of what I would do."

"But papa," I pleaded, "I want to help, I need to help. Can't you just listen to me?"

"No," he replied, "N. O. Darling, what is not clicking here? You're not getting involved with this."

"That's not fair," I argued fiercely as I stood up, "Why do you get to risk your life? I want to help. I want thing too, can't you understand that?"

"Hela, don't," he warned, looking up at me with a cautious glare.

"No!" I persisted, anger bubbling up inside me. I felt like a child throwing a tantrum but I did not care. I wanted a chance at getting Asgard back, to get what I wanted. I wasn't going to let him stand in the way of that.

"It's unfair that you get to go on your own little suicide missions and leave me in the dust! I want things too, I want to change the past just as much as you do!" I argued, "What gives you the right to risk your life for that, huh? To even have the possibility of leaving me in this god-forsaken place as an orphan!? No, you're letting me help. I'm not getting left behind, and I'm getting what I want. You're not the only one who gets to be selfish!"

"Hela!" he yelled, flying up from his seat as he suddenly loomed over me.

I glared up at him, refusing to back down. I wasn't going to let this go, I just couldn't. Everything I wanted was at stake.

"I'm helping you," I insisted, crossing my arms.

"The only thing you are is grounded," he said, pointing to my room, "Leave."

"But-"

"No, Hela," my father interrupted, "You are refusing to understand any of this."

"I do understand!" I insisted, my face red hot with anger.

He did no more than scoff, "You're a child. How could you possibly wrap your head around the gravity of time travel? You need to take a minute to think about this, you're being irrational."

"Papa-" I attempted again but he did no more than shake his head and point to my room.

"Go."