Chapter Nineteen

"When your mother found out about it all, it was terrifying," Grimnir continued, his voice soft and careful, "Her cries could be heard throughout the kingdom and quite frankly, palace workers were surprised she didn't kill your father. Honestly, she had every right to."

"I think I'm going to be sick," I mumbled. My heart was beating out of my chest and my lungs felt as if they were stuck in my throat. I held tightly to the desk edge where I sat, trying to ground myself. I wanted to throw up, I felt so sick about myself, about my father, and even Thanos.

All because Ragnarok hadn't occurred, my powers were able to manifest quicker and garner the attention of Thanos. I couldn't fathom how bloody my ledger must be, the thousands I might have killed in this timeline. Though those experiences were not my own, they were tied to me and apart of me.

"When you did come back, after Thanos's mission was...completed, every nursemaid and palace worker began whispering about our poor princess. And how her nightmares plagued you unlike ever before. They explained how terrifying it was knowing that you...ya know...." Grimnir trailed off, twiddling his thumbs.

"Good to know," I sighed uneasily, I felt nauseas beyond belief. I felt like I was going crazy mostly because I didn't feel bad. The more I thought about it, the more shocked I felt. I looked down at my hands, to think that my hands had such power was crazy. Within my fingertips, I carried so much power. And yet, I had never used it. That power was bottled up within my untapped, unused...

"Hela," Grimnir said, immediately coming to my side as he realized my discomfort, "It's alright, that's not you. You didn't have a choice, you were just a child."

I just shook my head, squeezing my eyes tightly. I was entirely overwhelmed. I felt angry, terrified, and bewildered all at once. I didn't have a clue who I was now. I thought that Grimnir could provide some clarity but I was left with more questions than I began with.

Where did my true identity lie? Was I still the girl I had once known on Midgard? I had been miserable in New Asgard. Each and every day was filled with fish, boredom, and nonsensical political discussions with my Father. My Goddesshood had been reduced to nothing, I was just another mortal freak on the face of that planet. I couldn't possibly use my gifts on Midgard, I was no Avenger. And I certainly wasn't a murderer. I was good there. I had aided in the first attempt at time travel and eventually helped defeat Thanos. I had spent my days trying to be the best daughter, the most helpful person in New Asgard, I was actively trying to be good.

Here, I was much different. Every waking hour was filled with people doting on me, praising my every move. I could do absolutely anything I wanted and it would be sanctioned as divine action. I was the Goddess of Death and soon to be the Queen of Asgard. My power was well known and it was fully realized. I could use the powers I had within my hands to pursue a greater Asgard. And my family would be close behind me, my whole family. Here, I had Grimnir too. Even with the knowledge of what I had done, he didn't stray from my side. I had to truly wonder what I had lost.

"Listen, I'm not scared of you. Not one bit. I think you're amazing," Grimnir attempted, standing before me and rubbing my shoulders. I could barely hear him over the sound of the ringing in my ears.

"I need fresh air," I said, taking a deep breath and standing up.

"As you wish," he said, backing up and watching me as I walked to the balcony in my room.

As the warm sunshine hit my skin, I took a deep breath. I turned my face to the sun and tried to just soak it in. New Asgard certainly didn't have as good of weather as we had here...

"Nice isn't it?" A voice sounded from the balcony corner, "The sun? Except, I might argue it's a little too bright."

"Hello, Sylvie," I sighed, "Good to know you're not dead,"

"Is it?" she asked as I turned to look at her, "That's actually quite touching, I thought you were much more of a brat than that."

"Are you alright?" I asked, watching as she lounged about the balcony railing, "After what happened I tried looking for you but-"

"It's been madness, hasn't it?" she finished with a scoff, "Trust me, I know."

"Where have you been?" I asked sitting besides her.

"Everywhere and nowhere at all," she said with a shrug, "Conveniently, the TemPad was in neither of those locations."

"The TemPad?" I echoed worriedly, "But I thought you had it, I swore you did."

"I thought so too," Sylvie said, "But, when you pulled that little stunt with your auntie, it must've gotten lost within time. Along with a lot of other things, but I digress."

"Then...then how are you ever going to get home? How am I going to get home?" I stammered. That TemPad was the only ticket out of this timeline, for me or Sylvie.

"You getting home? Ha. Hela, darling, you are home," Sylvie mocked, pinching my cheek as she scrunched up her nose.

"But what if I need it?" I asked frantically, stepping away from her, "It's not perfect here, there's still things I ought to change. I have to make it all perfect."

"Maybe you are a brat," Sylvie mused, raising a brow as she looked me up and down, "Everything must be Hela's way, doesn't it? Doesn't matter that I need the TemPad too, hm? Or would you just prefer me to rot away in this Godforsaken timeline?"

"That's not what I mean," I said firmly. Sylvie put her hands up in defense, hopping off the balcony railing.

"Don't get fussy with me, dear," she said, "I would hate to end up like your auntie, or the other third of the population you slaughtered."

My eyes went wide.

"How did you-"

"It really wasn't hard," Sylvie said, "Once I saw what you could do, what you did do to Hela, I started asking some questions. You know, your nurse maids are really quite the gossips."

"That wasn't me," I insisted sternly, "The Hela that sided with Thanos is not me."

"Oh but it is, and you know that don't you?" she asked as she began to pace around me.

"You like knowing you're capable of that," Sylvie added with a smirk.

"That's not true," I lied as I crossed my arms.

"Don't lie to me," Sylvie laughed, "You might be able to lie to dear ol' dad, but you can't lie to me, dear. You love having that power don't you?"

"You don't know what you're talking about," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Yes I do," she insisted, "You are your father's daughter. And if there's one thing a daughter of Loki would crave, it's power. Just think about it for a moment won't you?"

With a snap of her fingers, her body morphed into an exact image of my father's.

"Imagine this," she said, copying my father's form to perfection, "I'm Loki. Time after time after time, I've abandoned you! One thing after another, I left you and dear mumsy in the dirt for my safety, to have what I want, to get what I believe I deserve. And every time I do this, I say, oh Hela! If only I had the throne, had the power your uncle has, I wouldn't do any of these terribly treacherous things! Now, what does that teach a young girl?"

"Stop it," I warned. I could feel my cheeks getting hot. My father was still my father despite whatever flaws he had. His blood courses through my veins and his name was my own. I was Hela Lokisdottir. I couldn't just listen to her slander that.

"You know what it teaches?" she sneered at me, shape shifting back into her true self, "It teaches selfishness. And brattiness. And it creates a power hungry-"

"Sylvie, I said stop," I attempted again as she began to walk towards me.

"Self absorbed," she continued.

"Stop," I demmanded, turning my back to her.

"Murderous princess," Sylvie whispered as she leaned in just a bit too close to my ear.

"You really are daddy's little girl, aren't you?"