Chapter Forty Nine

I ran to the dungeons as fast as I possibly could, only to find the guards missing from their post and within Grimnir's cell. As I saw them, the world spun in slow motion as my body became overwhelmed with anger. Their armored fists and spiked feet met every inch of Grimnir's frame. Blood spattered across the marble floor in a horrific kind of artistry. Grimnir was no more than a heap between them all, shielding his head as they mercilessly hit him over and over and over again. My heart jumped to my throat as I walked to his cell, trying not to scream-not to show I cared. But the anger I felt for the guards was flooding my senses and I could see no more than the blood they drew from him.

"Stop," I commanded, my voice firmer than it had ever been. It echoed throughout the dungeons, reverberating off of every wall. As I came upon Grimnir's cell, the guards' heads all shot up as they stood at attention.

"What the hell are you doing?" I asked as I hastily unlocked the cell door. My hands were shaking wildly. I didn't want to lash out and I certainly didn't want anyone else to get hurt but magic sparked at my hands like a loose canon.

"Forgive us, your highness. We were acting out of line," one of them responded, prompting a quiet chorus of laughter from the four men who stood in front of me. I grit my teeth. Come on, Hela. Don't be an idiot, I told myself as I clenched my fists tightly.

"Leave now. Back to your posts, immediately,"
I ordered. In effort to remain calm, I couldn't look at Grimnir. I couldn't look at the heap
of blood and flesh he had become at the hands of these men.

The guards didn't move a muscle, merely shuffled about awkwardly. "Leave! Now!" I yelled, pointing to the door. Hastily, they made their way out. One guard had the audacity to ask, "Shall we lock the door behind you, your highness?"

I looked over my shoulder, the guard was young-no more than twenty. "Take a look at the prisoner and answer that for yourself," I replied with a gesture to Grimnir. He wasn't going anywhere, it was clear that at least a rib was broken and his ankle as well. It would be quite a feat if he were to make it even two feet. The guard gulped in fear and simply closed the cell door before running along.

"Hela," Grimnir croaked, looking up at me from where he lay. Finally, I looked at him-my breath catching in my throat as I did. Those poor silver eyes were bloodshot, his mouth seeping blood. Without a second to think, I knelt besides him-uncaring about the blood that now soaked my dress.

"Shh, shh, it's alright," I said as I gently laid his head on my lap. He gulped down hard before struggling to produce the most pathetic smile. "How'd the meeting go?" he asked, his voice no more than a squeak.

"Don't worry about that," I said softly as I combed through his curly brown hair with my hand. A large gash ran through his brow bone, deep and bloody. I wished now more than ever that I had taken the time to learn my mother's healing magic.

"You look beautiful," he said quietly. His silver eyes stayed focused on me, unwavering despite the pain I'm sure he felt. "Don't start," I replied in a warning tone as I gently examined his head for anymore wounds.

"What did they do to you?" I muttered, counting at least three cuts on his face alone. His body was another story, his white tunic was now stained crimson red with blood. It was torn in multiple places, revealing scratches and puncture wounds. There was nothing fatal but without a healer's assistance, Grimnir would be left in a lot of pain for very long time.

"I don't know. I think I blacked out until I saw you," he replied, still flashing that lazy bloody smile at me. I shot a glare down at him. "Enough with the romantics or else I'll add a few more broken ribs," I said firmly.

"You wouldn't dare," he said with a small laugh. His laughter soon turned into coughing and he gripped my sleeve firmly as blood bubbled up in his throat. I wanted desperately to show him otherwise, to show I could hurt him. But I found myself unable to formulate a witty response or even raise my hand to strike him. Truthfully, I hated myself for it.

"We need to get you a healer," I mumbled, brushing his hair out from his face. Grimnir shook his head. "Your father will kill you if he knows you're down here," he argued, his voice hoarse from pain.

"I'm getting you a healer," I said firmly. My hands were soaked with his sticky crimson blood, still hot to the touch. I could tell Grimnir was having difficulty holding into consciousness, no loner able to focus on me.

"Please stay here," he whimpered, gripping my sleeve tightly. I tore my arm away from him, trying to detach myself as best as I could from the situation. You don't care, I repeated to myself over and over. "I'll say I heard your screams, alright? I'll make up some lie as to why I was down here," I said, telling myself more than I was telling him.

"Please be safe," Grimnir asked, practically begging me. His eyes locked with mine with what little focus he could manage. "I will, I will," I promised as I took a pillow from nearby and gently shifted his head from my lap to it. He grimaced with every slight movement.

"I'll just be a moment," I said softly as I began to retreat from his cell. I hardly noticed how much blood I had gotten on me. My dress was soaked, the blue fabric stained to a deep violet with the blood. My hands were simply covered and I had somehow managed to streak my face with blood as well. I hastily left his cell but still took the time to lock his door behind me. Even broken and bruised, I couldn't trust Grimnir not to escape-especially when he was out of my sight.

The guards stiffened as I walked past, standing straight and tall as they raised their arms in salute. I didn't even look at them as I was far too angry at their idiocy to even pretend to be kind.

I needed to find a healer, and fast. Preferably, I needed to find one who wouldn't snitch to my mother either. Truly, that was the challenge of it all. Just as I exited the dungeons, turning to shut the doors behind me, I bumped into someone.

Immediately I turned around to express my apologies but to my dismay, I was met with the face of my father.