C H A P T E R ⟶ N I N E

S T A R   W A R S

C H A P T E R   N I N E

( conversations on a boat )

⟶⭑🌣⭑⟵

          PERCY FELT BETTER than he had in days. After running for miles on end, losing his memory, nearly dying during war games, and getting told that he was going on a useless, deadly quest, he was finally on his turf. The water gave him a sort of energy he hadn't felt in a long time, and for the first time in a couple of days, he finally felt in control of something.

Beside him, Aurora was looking at the passing waters and sights. Her cerulean eyes reflected the summer skies beautifully, and her onyx hair was braided loosely down her left shoulder, a few strands framing her face after falling from the braid. If he looked closely, he could see freckles dotting the bridge of her nose, and she had that smile on her lips that made his stomach fill with butterflies.

No, Percy! You can't think like that! What if this Annabeth girl is your girlfriend? You'll be hurting not only yourself, but both Aurora and Annabeth. Just. . . don't think like that, okay?

Even though he was mentally scolding himself, he couldn't help but stare at her as she dipped a hand into the ocean and smiled as a few curious fish swam up to her and rubbed against her fingertips. She giggled, and the sound made him feel as if he was walking on water (could he do that?).

Aurora turned and met his eyes, her cheeks turning a faint shade of pink that made his heart race. Was she blushing? She had to be blushing. Oh, gods, now he was blushing. He gave her a smile that she returned and faced front, not wanting to get lost in her eyes.

When he looked at the shore, he swore he saw an old homeless guy sitting with the sea lions on the docks. From across the water, the old man pointed a bony finger at Percy and mouthed something like Don't even think about it.

"Did you see that?" Hazel asked.

Percy nodded. "Yeah. I've been here before." He couldn't remember exactly why, but it had something to do with that girl Annabeth. He had been looking for her. When he thought of Annabeth, the feelings he felt weren't a match for the ones growing for Aurora. That had to mean something, right? "I. . . I don't know. I think I was looking for my best friend."

"Annabeth," Frank said. Percy glanced at Aurora and saw her glanced toward him before looking back at the water with a faint frown. He frowned. "You mean, on your way to Camp Jupiter?"

Percy frowned even deeper. "No. Before that."

He didn't know why he was looking for this Annabeth girl. Something had happened. She had been taken, he thought. There was something about the San Francisco skyline that was familiar to him. The smell of Eucalyptus. He had definitely been there before.