C H A P T E R ⟶ T E N

S T A R   W A R S

C H A P T E R   T E N

( the rainbow goddess gets a job )

⟶⭑🌣⭑⟵

          AURORA HAD HEARD of many things in her time as a demigod. Like the gods existing or monsters attempting to kill her. She had seen weird things too, but nothing left her as stunned as what Frank had just told her.

He quickly explained to her and Percy about how angry little men came out of the grass and dragged Hazel away. It took her a second to process all of it, and when she did, her eyes went wide in realization. She couldn't believe that she hadn't seen it before.

The grass moving without a breeze. The feeling of someone watching her. She should have known it would be them. If only she had stayed with Frank and Hazel instead of accompanying Percy down to the boat.

Oh, but she'd had a lot of fun with him. Laughing and joking around like they had known each other for years and years. She had never felt like that with anyone else in her entire life. Not even Jason, and they had connected pretty quickly. When she was down on the beach with him, it made her feel as if she was just a simple teenage girl walking with her friend and enjoying a midnight stroll on the beach.

It was nice. And thinking about it made her heart race in her chest. The way his eyes had shone brightly in the night, and how he had looked so carefree for a split second. She locked that memory away in her mind alongside the other moments she had had with him so far. The time she fought alongside him in the war games. The way he comforted her when she was crying over Gwen. She kept it with them, feeling her cheeks heat up a bit.

"Do you know what they could be?" Percy asked, turning to Aurora.

She pursed her lips. "I really hope I'm wrong about this, but I have a feeling I'm not." She peered out at the grass, her nerves on end. "If I am right, we need to find Hazel and fast. These things aren't exactly the sweetest monsters alive."

The boys didn't ask questions, instead following her lead into the grass and in the direction of where Hazel's previous shout had come from. They tried their hardest to stay out of the grass, hopping from stone to stone or log to log. Aurora led the way, the light of her sword in full use chasing away the darkness.

It wasn't hard to find Hazel. Aurora just had to follow the sound of gravelly voices shouting about which grains were better. Soon, they had reached a clearing where the grass was a bit shorter and a large spire of rock stood tall and proud. Hazel was on top of the spire, looking down at the creatures that had attacked her.

"Karpoi. Grain spirits of Ceres," Aurora whispered, angered that she had been right. "Gods, this isn't good."

"What do you mean?" Frank asked. "They look like harmless little babies."