C H A P T E R ⟶ N I N E T E E N

S T A R   W A R S

C H A P T E R   N I N E T E E N

( terminus smacks a giant in the face )

⟶⭑🌣⭑⟵

          "NO!"

Everything happened so quickly. Aurora's scream ripped through the frosty air, her throat aching. Her body felt extremely hot, and as her knees met the icy floor, a burst of light erupted from her body, burning any leftover ghosts into nothing and setting the air on fire. Heat blasted through the cold and incinerated the icy banners and buildings, the world lighting up with gold.

Tears streamed down her cheeks as a choked sob left her lips, which still tingled from when Percy had kissed her. She knew this would happen, and she knew he would survive, but watching him fall. . . it ripped her heart to pieces. Something inside her broke at the look in his eyes, and she felt as though she was missing something.

Frank and Hazel watched their friend in shock and awe, Hazel's eyes stinging. Frank noticed something peculiar on Aurora's ring: the bright outline of a trident beside the sun carving. He wondered what it meant, but didn't ask. Death stood silently off to the side, watching with saddened eyes.

After moment, Hazel walked over to Aurora and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Aurora, we have to go. We have to finish this quest."

Aurora sniffled and nodded, standing with red eyes and tear stained cheeks. She wiped her cheeks and swallowed. The glacier was melting and crumbling from the combination of Aurora and Percy's powers. She noticed Thanatos and joined him with Frank and Hazel. "What now?"

"Ah, yes," Thanatos said with satisfaction. "There go some souls. Drowning, drowning. Bursting to flames. You'd best hurry, my friends, or you'll drown, too."

"But Percy. . ." Frank could barely speak his name. "Is he—?"

"Too soon to tell. I'm sure your friend here knows, don't you daughter of Apollo?" Aurora nodded, feeling it deep within herself. He wasn't dead. He couldn't be. "As for this one. . ." Thanatos looked down at Alcyoneus with distaste. "You'll never kill him here. You know what to do?"

Frank nodded numbly. "I think so."

"Then our business is complete."

The group of three exchanged nervous looks.

"Um. . ." Hazel faltered. "You mean you won't. . . you're not going to—"

"Claim your life?" Thanatos asked. "Well, let's see. . ."

He pulled a pure-black iPad from thin air. Death tapped the screen a few times, and all Aurora could think was: Please don't let there be an app for reaping souls.