C H A P T E R ⟶ T W E L V E

S T A R   W A R S

C H A P T E R   T W E L V E

( mission: save ella the harpy )

⟶⭑🌣⭑⟵

          AURORA HAD NEVER felt so angry and terrified at the same time. Not even when she had been pushed over the edge by Lupa during her training or when her father pulled her from her home in the middle of the night. But when Phineas mentioned her past and her full name, she locked up.

No one, not even Reyna, knew her real last name. The only one she had told was Jason, and that was only because he'd been told by Lupa when he had been at the Wolf House. She changed her last name for a good reason. . . to forget her past and what had happened in it. And now, this jerk of a seer that was supposed to be dead, was bringing up old memories that she didn't need weighing her down.

She already had too much on her mind, what with her cousin's disappearance, the camp being in danger, and the quest that she was on. As well as the dreams of a woman made of earth—Gaea—and a boy with messy black hair, green eyes, and no face. She didn't know why his face was hidden from her, but she knew that he was of importance. Add on to the fact that she had a growing crush on Percy, who seemed way too familiar to be some random camper or demigod, and two friends who obviously had a thing for each other? She couldn't deal with one more thought plaguing her mind.

Swallowing thickly, Aurora pushed her thoughts away and focused on the task at hand. She couldn't allow Phineas's words to affect her any more. She had to help her friends if this quest was going to work, and she could't help anyone if she was frozen.

Gritting her teeth, she met the milky eyes of Phineas, mentally cursing him out in more than one language. "We'll need some of your food."

Percy glanced at her to check if she was okay, and she gave him a firm nod. With that, he shouldered his way around the old man and snatched stuff off the picnic table—a covered bowl of Thai noodles in mac-and-cheese sause, and a tubular pastry that looked like a combination burrito and cinnamon roll.

Before Aurora could let her anger out on the old man, Percy said, "Come on, guys."

He led the group out of the parking lot.

They stopped across the street. Aurora was taking as many deep breaths as she could to calm herself. She wasn't a naturally angry person, so any large amount of rage was uncomfortable for her to experience. She wanted to scream and cry and throw things, but she couldn't. She had to control herself. Because lack of control could lead to her powers going haywire. And after years of learning control, she didn't need that to happen.

"That man. . ." Hazel smacked the side of a bus-stop bench. "He needs to die. Again."

It was hard to tell in the rain, but she seemed to be blinking back tears. Her long curly hair was plastered down the sides of her face. In the gray light, her gold eyes looked more like tin.