C H A P T E R ⟶ S E V E N

S T A R   W A R S

C H A P T E R   S E V E N

( the fight of fort sumter )

⟶⭑🌣⭑⟵

          THEY DIDN'T MAKE it to the ship.

Halfway across the dock, three giant eagles descended in front of them. Each deposited a Roman commando in purple and denim with glittering gold armor, sword, and shield (which Aurora had brought back from Alaska with Frank, Hazel, and Percy. Those infuriating little shits!) The eagles flew away, and the Roman in the middle, who was scrawnier than the others, raised his visor.

"Surrender to Rome!" Octavian shrieked. 

Hazel drew her cavalry sword and grumbled, "Fat chance, Octavian."

Aurora cursed under her breath. By himself, the skinny augur wouldn't have bothered her (he never did before, really), but the two other guys were seasoned warriors that Aurora had trained with. They were bigger, stronger, and meaner than Aurora wanted to deal with, especially since Piper and Annabeth were only armed with daggers and Aurora was still recovering from using her powers so much.

Piper raised her hands in a placating gesture. "Octavian, what happened at camp was a setup. We can explain."

"Can't hear you!" Octavian yelled. "Wax in our ears—standard procedure when battling evil sirens. Now, throw down your weapons and turn around slowly so I can bind your hands."

"Let me skewer him," Hazel muttered. "Please."

Normally, Aurora would agree. But her mind was racing with thoughts. This was about survival, not fighting. They needed to get to safety since they were severely outnumbered. The ship was only fifty feet away, but Aurora saw no sign of Coach Hedge or Sarah on deck. Coach was probably below, watching his stupid martial arts programs, and Sarah was probably off chopping something's head off. Jason's group wasn't due back until sunset, and Percy would be underwater, unaware of the invasion. If Aurora could get on board, she could use the ballistae; but there was no way to get around these three Romans.

She was running out of time. The eagles circled overhead, crying out as if to alert their brethren: Hey, some tasty Greek demigods and rogue Romans over here! Aurora couldn't see the flying chariot anymore, but she assumed it was close by. She had to figure out something before more Romans arrived. Aurora knew all about Roman fighting, and though she was confident in her abilities, she didn't know how the others fared in battle other than Hazel. For all she knew, they were terrible close-combat fighters.

She needed help . . . some kind of distress signal to Coach Hedge, Sarah, or even better—Percy.

"Well?" Octavian demanded. His two friends brandished their swords.