Eleven

POV-Reggie

We had a rough day at work today. The clock-in machine broke and so everyone had to hand write their start and end times. The papers that me and the other host use were missing so we had to hand-draw all the tables and then section them off, color coded, for all the servers and then we had almost ten walk-ins that we had to turn down because there wasn't enough space anywhere. No open tables, no bar stools, no open reservations at the end of the night. Nothing. We were booked from opening to closing and they were training a new food runner so people's meals were brought to the wrong tables and the one server forgot to tend to her table all night and myself and the other host had to do that because everyone was busy. Except that one server. She got written up before I left. Everyone left late and no one got any breaks.

I couldn't wait to go home and cuddle with Luke. I really just wanted to be with him and sleep. And also rant about the rough night I had. I walked into the apartment building and greeted the doorman, Bill, before stepping into the elevator. I hit the button for the third floor and watched as the doors closed. My legs felt like they were going to give out when the elevator accelerated upwards. I leaned against the back wall and waited for it to stop so I could get off. A quiet ping rang through my ears and the doors seemed to take forever to open. But they finally did and I stepped out. Mrs. Harvey was waiting outside the doors with her four year old daughter, April.

"Hi," I greeted them happily. April and I seemed to be best friends. I've babysat her many times before and she seems to really like the music Sunset Curve makes.

"Reggie!" The little girl's smile could brighten any day. She wrapped his small arms around my legs in an attempt at a hug. I picked her up in my arms and squeezed her gently.

"What are you doing up so late?" I asked her.

"I have a meeting, but don't have a babysitter," Mrs. Harvey smiled as she let the doors to the elevator closed.

"I'll babysit," I offered, putting April down.

"Will you?" Mrs. Harvey asked for confirmation, her face showing relief.

I nodded.

"That would be wonderful," Mrs. Harvey smiled as she shook my hand. "Can I pick her up tomorrow?"

"Of course," I replied as I took April's hand. "Any time works, we'll be home all day."

Mrs. Harvey thanked me a thousand times before leaving for her meeting. I walked April down to my apartment, taking note of her tired behavior. I pulled my key out of my pocket and opened the door. Before walking in, I picked up the little girl. I loved her as if she was my own. I would literally take a bullet for this tiny girl in my arms. She instantly laid her head down on my shoulder.

"Wait," I whispered to her. She lifted her head. "You can't go to sleep yet. I gotta put up your hair."

April's long, wavey, golden brown hair hung loosely down her back. Her tired green eyes stared at me blankly. I smiled at her and walked inside, closing the door quietly behind me. I heard the end of Edge of Great and rolled my eyes at the thought of Julie being here. I put my key on the table just inside the door and walked around the corner to greet Luke. But I never got the chance.

I saw Luke kissing Julie. On the piano bench. In my home. In my home my boyfriend was kissing someone else. After knowing how uncomfortable I was with her here he still did this. I turned and walked into my room before either of them saw me. I felt dizzy, I couldn't hear anything. My mind was racing, but I had to keep myself together for the basic fact that April didn't know about Luke and I, even though her mother did.

I set April on the bed. And grabbed a hair tie from her travel back that stays in our closet. She was already in her pajamas so all I had to do was put her hair up. Her mother taught me how to braid last week, so I distracted my mind by trying to remember how to braid. I figured it out on the third try and April was in and out of sleep the whole time. I felt really bad, but her mom would hate me if I didn't put her hair up. Once I finished, I let her sleep on my side of the bed since I didn't plan on sleeping there tonight.