Changbin X Felix

CONTENT WARNING
descriptions of thalassemia (lack of oxygen cells in the blood) and anemia (lack of iron) and the treatment used against them (blood transfusions)

Category : Fluff/Angst

Request : "Felix moves to Changbin's school and everyone is shocked because he's taking care of Felix and smiling"

___________
SSICK
___________

We all know the story of boy meets girl. Boy and girl meet in school and boy falls in love with the girl. After a long time, the girl eventually begins to love him back. Then the two will graduate, get married, have kids, and live together until they're old and gray and one passes away.

When we read these stories as children, we always believe that they're real. That they're these tangible lives we'll all happily live. You grow up being convinced that it's just how the world works.

And you don't find out it's all a load of shit until it's too late.

You see, my story changed early on. Lie number one was boy meets girl. My fairytale involved two boys in the gym locker room in seventh grade. Everyone else had already filtered out and headed home after basketball practice. It was only me and that year's foreign exchange student from Germany, Otto Adal. He was my first kiss and I thought I was in love.

Till I came back the next year and he was gone, traveling back home a month before without a word.

However, as I grew older, the rest seemed to fall into place. I met a boy, a lovely boy who made my heart race every time I saw him. He was strong, caring, funny, and just everything a guy could ask for. The only downside was our school differences.

He went to the Seoul Institute of the Arts and Literature. A prestigious secondary school for the rich and mildly famous. Me on the other hand, I went to Seoul Consolidated. I know, even the name alone sounds poor.

Seoul Consolidated is an ancient, broken-down dumpster fire that the "less fortunate" send their children to. This means if your house makes less than the cost of a Ford Mustang annually then the country pretends to care about you enough to get you through algebra.

We made it work though.

Until the second lie came crashing down on me.

One year, five months, and sixteen days into our relationship I was rushed to the closest hospital after passing out during work. They did test after test, drained vile after vile of my blood, and came to the conclusion that I had severe thalassemia that then caused anemia.

They explained that thalassemia was inherited and that three of the four genes involved in making hemoglobin in my body were mutated. This meant one of my parents had mild thalassemia and the other was a carrier for the disease; however, neither of them was in need of treatment. I, on the other hand, severely needed medication and blood transfusions to care for the diseases. Both of which my parents couldn't afford, meaning I wouldn't be getting them.

The diagnosis explained a lot about me though. It explained why I was sickly pale, and why I was almost always fatigued. It told my parents that my frequent abdominal swelling as a child and my stunted growth weren't something they were the cause of. I was just a sick kid who doctors could never help due to the lack of funds for care.