Chapter Thirteen: Keefe

Minutes before, Keefe had been running.

He'd seen the report about the "strange group."

It was the Neverseen.

They'd found him.

They were coming after him.

They were going to make him command someone to do something terrible.

What if he forced someone like Marinette or Sophie to... to...

Die?

So it was a shock when he turned into an empty corner and crashed into Adrien, who had been talking to a strange creature and feeding it Camembert cheese (Marinette had dared Keefe to eat it last night and he couldn't get over the smell). And when Adrien and Plagg and Keefe had explained everything about the reveal, they knew that they had to hide Adrien, even if Cat Noir couldn't join the fight then, that's when they had found Marinette and her own Kwami.

"A-Adrien?" Marinette gasped.

But Adrien couldn't even speak. Indeed, Keefe had seen the poor kid was moving a lot slower than normal, and it was clear lack of sleep was the cause.

"Okay, here's the cinch," Keefe said.

"Wait," Marinette said. "I need to do something really quickly."

And with that, she ran away.

"That's strange," Keefe whispered.

"I also happened to notice that you talk normally around Marinette," Adrien smirked.

Why did it look exactly like Keefe's smirk, still? It made zero sense.

Both boys just stood there for a second before Keefe felt his Imparter buzz.

"Uh..." he squeaked. "I gotta take this."

He quickly ran across the corner to see Sophie on the Imparter screen.

"Keefe, where are you?" Sophie asked. "And don't say anywhere else; we know you're in Paris."

"Keefe, the Neverseen are after you," Dex stuck his head into the screen's view. "Thanks to Glimmer, we'd figured out you're in Paris and... is that a human?"

"Gah!" Keefe dropped the Imparter in shock.

"What was that?" Adrien asked.

"Nothing!" Keefe kicked the Imparter behind him. "It's all an illusion."

Adrien still didn't seemed convinced.

"Guys! Over here!" Marinette ran back up to the boys, with three more people behind her.

Keefe recognized Alya and Nino, but the blonde was a mystery.

"This is Chloe," Marinette introduced. "And yes, we all know each other's identities now."

"Still shocked that the person I can't stand was also the person I love," Chloe rolled her eyes, furiously pressing her fingers against the strange device Marinette had said was a cell phone (she had laughed out loud and called him a jokester when he admitted he wasn't all that familiar with phones).

"That's not our problem right now," Adrien said. "That strange group is looking for someone and we don't know who."

Keefe paled.

"Actually... I think I do," he whispered, nervously twisting his fingers together.

Five pairs of eyes—seven including the Kwamis—turned to face him.